Snapshots take forever

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by punintended, Jan 2, 2009.

1. punintended

punintended Junior Member

Parallels snapshots of my Windows XP virtual machine take forever. I have also found that it is dangerous to force-quit Parallels while the snapshot process is ongoing. Where to start with troubleshooting?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

1. Please check you have enough space on Mac OS side, on partition where VM is located,
    less space -longer snapshots is taking,
    Also, please note, that snapshots are not for backup, but for keeping various stages of VM, software installed
    2. Time machine should not be running at that time

3. punintended

Thanks John, for the quick reply.

1) I have 50GB available free, and
    2) no, Time Machine is not running at that moment

I'm sorry I'm not able to quantify 'forever' - I usually leave the machine when it starts the process - I got tired of waiting. It's at least 20 minutes.

4. John@Parallels

Sorry, 20 min is ok, if VM size is more than 10gb

5. punintended

Then maybe, for a future release of Parallels, we ought to be able to schedule snapshots? I know there's rudimentary scheduling - once every x hours - but something like Sunday at 1 am would be more convenient...

6. John@Parallels

It is out there , please check Smart Guard

7. punintended

I left my machine doing a snapshot on Saturday morning - when I checked on it last night, it was still going - so more than 24 hours. This is what I mean by long - this isn't the first instance, but the most quantitative I can give you.

I will check out SmartGuard.

Thanks!

8. John@Parallels

It is by design doing every hour , you can adjust settings there

9. punintended

Right I had/have already adjusted these settings - it's not supposed to take a snapshot more than once every 48 hours. See my screenshot. It's the process of the snapshot, itself, that takes forever.

[​IMG]

10. punintended

My screenshot didn't get included - turse.org/forum_postings/parallels_snapshot1.jpg

11. John@Parallels

sorry, I cannot see screenshot nor link is not working

12. punintended

Should be now - my bad.

13. John@Parallels

14. jarome

jarome Bit poster

I see this too

My snapshots have never taken more than a few minutes. Last night it started at 3 AM and was still going this morning at 9 AM. I cannot get out of this state. How do I get my VM back so I can do my work? I cannot shout down Parallels. A force quit restores it to the same hung state.

I am running 3810. But this is the first snapshot after this week's Microsoft patch.....

HELP!

15. RaphaelF1

RaphaelF1 Member

Yeah, I'm just going to say: For TimeMachine and Parallels SmartGuard Snapshots to work seamlessly you do need a powerful machine with plenty of space... I'm not bragging here guys, but I too have struggled with it in the past when my machine wasn't BOTH 1-Fast enough (CPU/RAM/disk throughput) 2- Plenty of drive space both on the host drive, as well as the backup drive. Here's what works for me, with no issues at all:
    • iMac Pro (2017) 3.2GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 1TB SSD (301GB free).
      AND
    • My VM(s) itself(themselves) resides in a JOBD RAID array with 5 "old" SSDs, measuring up 1.73TB total, and currently I have 1.13TB out of the 1.73TB free (free space is very important for SSDs to function properly.)
      AND finally
    • My backup drive is a regular 4TB HDD (Seagate Ironwolf Red) - TimeMachine itself does need room to breathe as well...!
    With the configuration above, everything is fast enough that I can work without issues. Occasionally, SmartGuard notifies me it's about to take a snapshot while I am doing something important in the VM(s). In those cases I just click to postpone the snapshot and I am good to go. I leave my host machine always on, and then the snapshots happen when I am not using the host or the VMs.

I hope this helps. Best, Raphael.