Intellij IDEA CE

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Parallels User, Aug 13, 2022.

1. How would I go about installing Intellij IDEA community edition on Ubuntu 20.04 vm on my M1 MacBook Pro?

2. BrentM3

BrentM3 Junior Member

I haven't tried it with Inteliij IDEA, but this how I got Clion to work, so I imagine its pretty much the same.

First download the JetBrains Runtime for linux-aarch64 from https://github.com/JetBrains/JetBrainsRuntime/releases (I used the "JBR with JCEF (bundled by default)" version.) and untar it somewhere on your system.

Download the Intellij for linux tarball and untar it somewhere else on your system.

When I launch clion I just need to set the CLION_JDK environment variable and the launch script will pick it up. So, on my system I untared both the JetBrains Runtime and Clion to ~/opt, so I just run:

CLION_JDK=~/opt/jbrsdk_jcef-17.0.3-aarch64-b469/ ~/opt/clion-2022.2/bin/clion.sh

And that seems to do it. IIRC, the launch script for IDEA is idea.sh, and if you poke around in there you'll find the right environment variable to set for IDEA, probably IDEA_JDK.