Chrome OS Flex

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by GarrettB5, Feb 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hey @GunterG, thanks so much for the details!

Everyone, please try using this PVM template and let me know if you can boot to Chrome OS Flex installer with it.
    https://fe.parallels.com/16cd5b6e69c1d1d7672768b490da3c81/Chrome OS Flex.pvmp

GunterG likes this.
  2. GunterG

GunterG Bit poster

Hi @Dmitry@Parallels !
    As far as I am concerned, things are looking good so far. Using the PVM template, I was able to boot from a USB thumb drive with the Chrome OS Flex installer.
    On top of that, I successfully ran the installer itself and booted into the Chrome OS Flex from the vHDD. With a second VM, the live version is working, too.

For me, the template seems to work just fine. Thank you very much @Dmitry@Parallels - and thanks to your colleagues in engineering/dev!

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  3. KevinC25

KevinC25 Bit poster

Hi, @Dmitry@Parallels -- I imported the new PVM template, and it freezes on the Chrome splash screen.

4. KevinC25

KevinC25 Bit poster

@Dmitry@Parallels -- Update: I was able to successfully boot and install Chrome OS Flex:
    1. I imported your new PVM.
    2. I turned off my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and connected wired devices.
    3. I disconnected my USB hub and moved the installation thumb drive to one of the native USB ports on the back of the iMac.
    4. The VM then booted successfully and was able to install.
    Unfortunately, since I abandoned the scientific method, I'm not sure if #2 or #3 led to my success. After installation, the VM works with my bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Thanks for all your help -- I hope these steps are useful to others.

nmilne and Dmitry@Parallels like this.
  5. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Kevin, Gunter, thank you very much for your feedback!

6. nmilne

nmilne Bit poster

Hi, @Dmitry@Parallels -- I managed to get the PVM technique to work to some extent. I needed a Kingston USB key and not a PNY Hook Key. (No idea why) The clue about the plugging in the USB to the back of the MacMini in my case fixed the install. The BT keyboard issue was similar and a Logitech failed until the full install was done and a restart finally occurred. Thereafter the BT connnection was not really reliable. Present problem is how to force the display to operate > 640x480 pixels. No doubt there will be a P Tools utiliy to sort this out in due course but for now I shall use a magnifying glass as I cannot stretch the VM window. I can browse as guest or User fine. A bit of a battle but thankfully your clues helped 2022-03-01_18-07-03.jpg 2022-03-01_18-09-11.jpg 2022-03-01_18-10-21.jpg

7. GunterG

GunterG Bit poster

I just did some additional testing. (For @Dmitry@Parallels and @MikhailU@Parallels, I created an additional technical report, ID: 392233151)
    What I found so far:
    • using an Intenso Premium Line (8GB) thumb drive with the provided template (thanks again!), everything seems to work well;
    • using an Intenso Mini Mobile Line (16GB) thumb drive, the VM shows the splash screen, but freezes after switching to the next one.
    Both USB thumb drives are working without any problems when using a physical machine (a Dell E4200 in my case).
    The system I am using is a 2020 13" MBP (i5, 16GB, 4x Thunderbolt), running macOS 11.6.4 (20G417) and Parallels Desktop 17.1.1 (51537). The USB thumb drives are connected to the MBP using a UNI 3-in-1. Recent testing was done with no other hardware attached to the Mac and bit BT turned off. (Booting the Premium Line thumb drive and running Chrome OS Flex from vHDD works (mostly ...) well form me with this setup.)

Maybe this is helpful.

8. AndyF4

AndyF4 Bit poster

i have send technical reports I can't instal I am stuck on the with screen with google logo. after that nothing happend.

9. RogerTheShrubber

RogerTheShrubber Bit poster

Install went fine, but I'm also experiencing cursor issues. Turning off Mouse Acceleration in the Chrome OS settings helped a bit, but it's definitely not right. (I've got "Optimize for games" turned on in the Parallels settings, FYI.)
    Anyone else seeing this or found a solution?

10. RaidL

RaidL Bit poster

upload_2022-3-26_12-1-10.png
    I follow the instruction from parallel, everything works well but i stuck on this screen, pls help me!

GlenC likes this.
  11. Muzafaru

Muzafaru Bit poster

Hello,
    I followed all the instructions, created a USB boot drive from chrome extension Chromebook Recovery Utility. But once the Recovery Utility is completed, my USB canned to seen on my MacOS. It shows on the Disk Utility but the drive is not available on my macbook Locations... When I follow the other instructions I get the following
    Don't know what to do?

Attached Files:

12. Aydaskhan Asochakov

Aydaskhan Asochakov Staff Member

Greetings Muzafaru,
    To let us better understand the issue, we created a ticket for further investigation.
    Please check your muzafar@gmail.com email inbox.

13. AndrewH16

AndrewH16 Bit poster

Running Parallels 18, just tried installing from my newly formatted usb disk. Ran fine and was able to login to Chrome OS Flex when running from the key but installation failed due to (among other things in a fairly lengthy log), "Secondary GPT header is invalid," "failed to set parameter clear_tpm_owner_request," and "One of the GPT headers/entries is invalid." And since I don't know how Chrome OS works in general... in case this is valid, one of the last things that had the word "error in it" at the bottom of the install log, "dm_verity.error_behavior=3." Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

14. Aydaskhan Asochakov

Aydaskhan Asochakov Staff Member

Greetings Andrew,
    We are sorry for the delay in response.
    We created a ticket for further investigation. Please check your email inbox.
    Thank you!

15. AndreguyD

AndreguyD Bit poster

KeyBoard Description ! !
    In the page " https://www.parallels.com/blogs/run-chrome-os-flex-in-parallels-desktop-for-mac/"
    please give us the link to a page with all Keyboards (in the 4 modes : normal, upper-case, AltGr, upper-case-AltGr)
    Why ?
    Because, at the begenning of its installation, Os Flex ask our Google PassWord... and you could imagine that it's a big problem to enter it by a Mac Keyboard.... ! !
    If this PassWord has special caracters...

16. AndreguyD

AndreguyD Bit poster

Installation ?
    1/ Several Usb Key needed...
    My first one did not run...
    The second one run...
    But I had to create 5 Reboot Key to succeed...
    Suggestion : In your link "https://www.parallels.com/blogs/run-chrome-os-flex-in-parallels-desktop-for-mac/", add that it's possible that a usb key can have problems to be read.
    2/ 8G0 instead 64GO...
    By Default, the disk has 64 GO... It's to much even you have your Mac environnent close to // Desktop.
    In the link "https://www.parallels.com/blogs/run-chrome-os-flex-in-parallels-desktop-for-mac/"
    in the "Create a VM", just had the setting of the hard disk to 8GO, if the user does not need more disk Space.
    3/ How to reinitialize the VM if the installation aborts.
    Write some words ...

17. rrhill

rrhill Bit poster

I have Chrome OS Flex installed on Parallels Desktop 18 on my late 2013 MacBook Pro. Linus is disabled/unavailable in Chrome Fex settings. Is there something I can di to enable this feature?

18. Tres Finocchiaro

Tres Finocchiaro Member

GunterG, thanks for sharing the pvmp template. It would be super helpful if the official Parallels article by Sharda Veeramally was updated with this fix.

Can you check under Settings and then under Advanced options, choose Developers?

19. Tres Finocchiaro

Tres Finocchiaro Member

Nevermind, it's disabled for me too. :(

20. BillT8

BillT8 Bit poster

Team, Has there been any updates to support M series Apple silicon? Or are there plans to? Thanks for your time!