Running macOS 12 forever!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Macintosh Rescue, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Macintosh Rescue

Macintosh Rescue Member

Greetings,

I am delighted with the new features available to the macOS virtual machines, and I am now running my Open Directory server in macOS 12.macvm .

Is it known yet if it is possible to run a macOS 12 VM on future Mac's for example M4 Mac's that only support host operating systems much newer than what by that time will be an ageing?

I ask this because I know that Mac computers can only run with their original operating system or newer versions of macOS. Whilst this hasn't been an issue for virtual machines with older macOS and OS X versions on newer intel Mac's I'd like to know if the same holds true for macOS virtualisation on Apple Silicon?

For example: would a Mac shipping with system enablers for macOS 16 likely be able to run macOS 12 in a virtual machine, or does the .macvm need to have system enablers for the hardware which will not be available to older macOS versions?