Parallels in leopard?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by doubledave22, Dec 5, 2007.

1. doubledave22

doubledave22 Member

Im thinking about upgrading to leopard. Will my parellels be affected at all?

Also, worth the upgrade?

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

If you have Parallels Desktop 3.0 then you will not be affected (there is a free Leopard compatible update available). If you have Parallels Desktop 2.5 then you will still need to wait for an update before it will work properly.

3. ourisman

ourisman Member

Given all of the problems reported in this forum, and given that we are still awaiting the non-Beta bug fix from Parallels, how could anyone suggest that a user will experience no problems upgrading to 10.5?

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

There is a non-beta update available, it was just released today:
    http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/

5. chim

chim Member

Three Cheers! And Thank you!

6. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Without wanting to downplay that people posting here have genuine and annoying problems, there are many more of us out there who are delighted with Parallels, who are not therefore posting. No one can say whether you will one of the unlucky minority or the happy majority.

I have always put the latest beta straight on both my machines (both Leopard from day one). I have XP and Vista VMs. While there have been one or two overcomable issues, I have had no regrets and the last few builds (5540, 5570,5580) have been noticeably faster, and trouble free. I put 5582 (non beta) on last night and so far so good.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  7. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Same here,

The only problems I have are with my openSuse 10.3 session which does not allow X dynamic resize.

My Kubuntu 7.10 works perfectly, and my windows sessions work beautifully. So for me, I am very satisfied with it.

8. doubledave22

doubledave22 Member

i havent updated in a while i have build 3188. Few questions, do u think this will work in leopard? If not, if i update to a newer build will my same serial/key work?

9. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

Upgrading from Version 2.0 or 2.5 to Version 3.0 (which is the one you need for Leopard compatibility) requires an upgrade fee and a new serial number.

10. doubledave22

doubledave22 Member

how do i know what version i am? wouldnt 3188 be version 3 since it starts with a 3? Im not sure how it all works. And what is the fee like?

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Doubledave22, build 3188 is 2,5 Parallels Desktop version.
    GA release (build 5582) is fully Leopard-compatible, it is 3,0 PD version.

The upgrade to the Parallels Desktop for Mac version 3.0 is a pay service for all our customers. However, since you own the version 2.5, you are eligible for a special price of $49.99. To purchase a new key, you need to go to http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/ and click "Upgrade to the current version".

If you have a localized version, you should use http://shop.avanquest.com/ for upgrade. However 5582 localized versions are not ready yet. They will be available in a week or two.

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. dexterator

dexterator Bit poster

I've been happily using Parallels on a mini running 10.4 for the last year, but my software supplier has issued a new version which required that I get a faster so processor for Windows so I just bought a 20"imac which came with Leopard. I saw the Parallels 3.0 box on the shelf and asked the apple store salesperson if I needed that one(the box at home didn't have a version # on it, I now know its build 3188) and she said no, any version would be fine. My IT contractor came in yesterday and spent the day installing everything: Parallels, Windows, getting my network and printers working etc. And I'm scheduled to upgrade the proprietary system today - but now I see this thread and I'm worried that I got bad advice, that I should have picked up the 3.0 for this to work. Do l have to start over?

13. mbelov

mbelov Bit poster

14. dexterator

dexterator Bit poster

Thanks, that's terrific. I'd certainly like to upgrade to 3.0 eventually if not immediately. Will I have to have my IT contractor come back to install it ?- I don't know the ins and outs of partitioning and setting up the network.

15. mbelov

mbelov Bit poster

dexterator
    No, there is no need for that. There is a chance that you already have this build if your IT guy installed updates during installation. The build number can be checked in the menu -- Parallels Desktop -> About Parallels Desktop, it should be there. It it is not 3224, you can select "Check for Updates" from the Help menu.
    And by the way, you will not have to reinstall windows, reconfigure network or anything, even if you update to 3.0 you will still be able to use your old virtual machines with it.