WinXP on PD18 - Display

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Rossh51, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

After updating to PD18 from latest PD17 build, I am seeing 2 issues:
    1.the display no longer automatically re-sizes. It does re-size while prior to the Parallel Tools for PD18 installing.
    2. the desktop background is removed.
    Running latest MacOS Monterey on Intel 2020 iMac with i7 processor and Radeon 5700XT card. Behaviour is reproducible if I re-onstall a backup of the VM and update Tools.
    Display re-sizes ok on W10 or 11.

jasem likes this.
  2. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

Best Answer
    Thanks for the reply. I lodged a support request for this issue and had a call from one of your engineers yeserday. There is a bug in PD18 causing this for Win XP only. It will be fixed in a future release. It was suggested I reinstall PD17. However, a workaround for PD18 I have found is to use a backup VM and not allow Parallels Tools to update so you stay on v17 for the tools....turn off auto updates obviously. Seems to be working perfectly for me doing this and is fine for the one program I use on WinXP.

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  3. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

The latest build of Parallels 18.0.1 seems to have fixed both these issues in WinXP. Good job.

Nazeemabanu@P likes this.
  4. jasem

jasem Bit poster

same here. There is also a problem with DIRECTX 9C on winxp. it continuesly crashing the windows till you change graphic setting to openGL. however no such issue seen in win 10 and Direct X12. since this problem cannot see on parallels version 17.

5. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

I have had variable success on WinXP with DirectX on any version of Parallels with older games. Use XP only on Grand Prix Legends and all mods now but found it would only run reliably on OpenGL. One possible tip is that I have found that running full screen with these older programs gives more reliable performance than trying to run XP in a window with them. GPL runs very reliably in full screen with OpenGL on WinXP including on current PD18 and looks fantastic.