New Leopard-ready version?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by thoughton, Dec 5, 2007.

1. thoughton

thoughton Junior Member

I just read on MacNN that there is a new Leopard-ready version of parallels being bundled with the new Parallels Desktop "Premium package". The page is empty at the moment, is there an announcement anywhere?

Shouldn't us registered users be receiving emails about this sort of thing? This is exactly the same problem we had when 3.0 final was released, I learnt about it on a Mac news site and never received any notification email from Parallels!

Anxiously awaiting the Leopard version, since build 5160 works fairly decently, but it takes literally 15+ minutes to shut down. Every. Single. Time. Grrr...

On an unrelated note, I see the discussion forum is STILL not linked from the main parallels website. C'mon guys, what are you afraid of?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  2. jlmohler

jlmohler Bit poster

Build 5582

I just downloaded build 5582 because the update process did not find any update (an ongoing issue!!!) Is this the 'Premium Version' mentioned? I read the MACNN article mentioned and waited for the update so that I could check out the bundled software. I am a fan of the Acronis software. It has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Guess I have to play the waiting game to see if there is another update.

3. macmansc

macmansc Junior Member

Free?

Is this a free upgrade for the current owners of Parallels. The MacNN article seemed to elude to that.

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

The only difference with the premium version is that it has some Windows software bundled with it. You still get the same Parallels Desktop application. In other words if you want the additional software you would have to purchase Parallels Desktop Premium.

Yes. You can download it from http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/.

5. jlmohler

jlmohler Bit poster

Well, how much is it to upgrade for existing v3.0 owners? The only option that I can see is to pay $100.00 for the Premium Edition. Like I am going to do that!! I paid my $79.00 for v2.0 and then paid for the upgrade to v3.0. I am not about to pay $100 for something that I have or at least I have 99% (don't have the additional goodies)

6. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Yeah, it would be nice if Parallels gave us the option to upgrade our current copy of Parallels Desktop to Parallels Desktop Premium, maybe if enough people show interest they will offer it.

7. thoughton

thoughton Junior Member

Build 5582? Is that the final version? I can't seem to find any info about it. I knew Build 5580 was the Release Candidate of the current beta, but I didn't know anything about 5582! Shouldn't there at least be an announcement in the announcements section?

Thanks for the heads-up brkirch.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  8. nick083

nick083 Member

Dear Parallels Users,

The upgrade from the standard Parallels Desktop to Premium Edition will be available in our online store soon.

Regards,
    Nick

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

There is one now, Parallels seemed to have a lag between the release and announcement.

10. zmcnees

zmcnees Bit poster

I'm having an issue with shutting down. I'm running Windows XP using Parallels build 5582 and to edit your virtual mechine you need to stop it, right? Well, when I do stop it or shut down to get to the Parallels main screen (if there is one. I haven't seen one) is exits out of the program completely. I'm mainly using Parallels so I can run Windows games on my iMac and all I'm trying to do is change the setting in "Edit>Virtual Mechine" so I can switch the settings for DirectX.

Anyone know how to keep it from completely exitting out of the program when I shut down windows or click stop?

Thanks,
    Zeke.

11. billearl

billearl Member

Shut down the VM, then launch it holding down the Command key. After a window appears, select Virtual Machine... under the Edit menu.

12. jsscott@mac.com

jsscott@mac.com Bit poster

I am having the same problem with build 5160 taking forever to shut down. It starts by getting hung up ending Parallels Tools Center. Does anyone know why this is? I guess if it's happening to others, it may not be something I've done to it. I have just been working with it on a new Leopard machine since yesterday. I had very few issues with any version of Parallels while running Tiger.