UI/Scrolling problems after upgrade to PD 18.0.0 (53049)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarcelloR, Aug 10, 2022.

1. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hello everybody.

Yesterday I upgraded Parallels Desktop Business Edition from v. 17.1.4-51567 to v. 18.0.0-53049.
    After that, when I run my VM based on Windows 10, x64, I started to have some issues when scrolling the content inside windows.

The scrolling is no longer fluent. I can see a kind of horizontal band, about at the center of the screen, where the content scrolls intermittently/overlapping, with an annoying "wave" effect.

The problem is particularly evident with Chrome, scrolling the content of a page (especially with many graphic elements), but I can also observe it on other applications, including text/code editors (the effect, here, is less annoying, but is still there).

Before submitting this issue to PD Support, I would like to ask if anyone else have the same issue.

Thank you.

2. ChinT

ChinT Bit poster

While I didn't have the UI performance issue while using Edge, I experienced noticeably more micro-shuttering in Diablo Immortal after upgrading.

MarcelloR likes this.
  3. DoggyPiggy

DoggyPiggy Bit poster

Hi there,
    I'm having similar graphical issues on Windows 11 x64 with the new Parallels Desktop 18 too.
    It feels like the graphics stutter a lot. As you mentioned, it happens in many applications. One of my most used app is for editing CT images, and it's almost unusable now because of the graphics stuttering. Tried this article about performance optimization (https://kb.parallels.com/112091), not helpful at all. So I rolled back to Parallels Desktop 17 and everything went back to normal.
    May I know which Mac model are you using right now? I'm using a Mac mini (2018, Intel i7, 32GB RAM), and I'm thinking it could be related to Intel machines as they have emphasized that Parallels Desktop 18 has been optimized for Apple Silicon Macs.

MarcelloR likes this.
  4. DoggyPiggy

DoggyPiggy Bit poster

Hi there,
    I'm having similar graphical issues on Windows 11 x64 with the new Parallels Desktop 18 too.
    It feels like the graphics stutter a lot. As you mentioned, it happens in many applications. One of my most used app is for editing CT images, and it's almost unusable now because of the graphics stuttering. So I rolled back to Parallels Desktop 17 and everything went back to normal.
    May I know which Mac model are you using right now? I'm using a Mac mini (2018, Intel i7, 32GB RAM), and I'm thinking it could be related to Intel machines as they have emphasized that Parallels Desktop 18 has been optimized for Apple Silicon Macs.

5. DoggyPiggy

DoggyPiggy Bit poster

I can confirm the same problem. I replied yesterday but the message didn't went through which was bizarre. But anyway, yea the issue resolved when I rolled back to PD 17.

6. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hi @DoggyPiggy, thank you for the reply and your information.
    BTW, my Mac is a MacBook Pro 16" 2019, CPU 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 8 core, 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB, macOS Monterey 12.5

DoggyPiggy likes this.
  7. DoggyPiggy

DoggyPiggy Bit poster

Ahh now I'm more inclined to believe that it's related to Intel Macs. The graphics hardware of your MBP is very good, there's absolute no reason to have this bad performance with PD 18 then. Hopefully they can fix it soon with a 18.0.1 update!

MarcelloR likes this.
  8. Manuel_PRTX

Manuel_PRTX Bit poster

Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2015 (Intel i7 2.5 Quad)

Same issue. Had been working fine, but as soon as v18 was installed, when scrolling, UI bugs out.

MarcelloR and DoggyPiggy like this.
  9. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Just installed v. 18.0.1 (53056).
    After some minutes of using my VM, I think it is slightly improved, but there are still some obvious problems scrolling windows content.
    For sure it remains worse than v. 17

10. DoggyPiggy

DoggyPiggy Bit poster

Thanks for letting us know! Let's hope they can improve it in the next version :(

MarcelloR likes this.
  11. DoggyPiggy

DoggyPiggy Bit poster

MarcelloR likes this.
  12. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hi @DoggyPiggy.
    Just downloaded a few minutes ago. I will try it tonight (CET) then I will post my results.

DoggyPiggy likes this.
  13. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

So, here I am.
    After a couple of hours using it, I found v. 18.0.2 (53077) more stable. Performance for UI/scrolling are more than acceptable.
    I don't know how much they worked on this issue, but reading the Parallels Desktop 18 for Mac updates summary you can find this: "Fixed various graphics issues with Windows desktop and application". It seems to me they done it.

DoggyPiggy likes this.
  14. DoggyPiggy

DoggyPiggy Bit poster

Thanks a lot for letting us know! I will update too then :D