Apple ID login in macOS guest OS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JonC8, Oct 12, 2021.

1. LukasD4

LukasD4 Bit poster

Any update on this issue or maybe an workaround?

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello Lucas,
    Unfortunately, we don't have any updates or available workaround for now.

3. tvmrs

tvmrs Bit poster

I also encounter this problem ...

4. bgeeoz

bgeeoz Bit poster

Just spend several days chasing this problem. Installing MacOS 12 on Parallels appears to be a different process than other OS's. End up with a .macvm rather than a .pvm, and many Parallels features do not work including ability to modify configuration. Reverted to the preview installation to test Pro features as several error messages indicated the basic version does not support certain terminal commands. No joy. Unable to change the device serial number within the MacOS.

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Yes, macOS virtual machines on M-series computers have some limitations: https://kb.parallels.com/en/128867 . I've just shared your feedback with our R&D Team.

6. BryanV2

BryanV2 Bit poster

I bought parallels so that I could run Mac VMs, I don't complain and I've been patient with this issue but I am not likely to renew if this isn't fixed. I honestly need 1 app to work, the FortiClient for my work VPN, however they don't have one that works with the M1, except that the IPad app works. I can use it on my iMac but I'm not allowed to put my Mac on the work network. Running a vm for work was a good work around but if I copy the IPad app, it asks me to login with my Apple ID for the account that installed the software. I can actually get a Windows VM to run better on my Mac with the ARM version, and the FortiClient from the app store... but at that point I may as well just use my work issued Windows laptop.

7. Silvan1

Silvan1 Member

I would just through a million hoops before touching anything windows plastic ugliness, no way

Why are you talking about a subscription? Just buy the app via one-time-purchase (I still use parallels 15 and can run even Ventura)

8. Silvan1

Silvan1 Member

I was referring to my iMac 27" (Intel), my bad for not being obvious. Still ...subscription is a scam is basically my point.

9. Silvan1

Silvan1 Member

If you had read my initial message, sherlock, you'd see that I point out the redundancy of paying the yearly fee for a software that never evolves. This is also true for the M1 version

10. BryanV2

BryanV2 Bit poster

Wow, so helpful thank you but not the point of my post. I need a basic feature of the OS to work.
    As for the OS, I choose to work in MacOS as my daily driver but I have to work in all 3 OS's for my job. Believe it or not, Windows and Linux actually do some things better than MacOS or do some things that MacOS can't/doesn't.
    Case in point... the Windows store works on a Parallels VM on Apple Silicon, which is the only way the VPN will work there. I need the store in MacOS. Pretty basic functionality to not be able to login with an AppleID at all to a Mac VM.

11. oztrev

oztrev Member

Parallels Desktop 18 and _still_ unable to use an Apple ID which makes the whole thing pretty useless. I'll be seeking a refund.

12. ChazS

ChazS Bit poster

Is this still not resolved? What about with Ventura? I can't even install Parallel Tools.

13. Silvan1

Silvan1 Member

No (of course it's not resolved ), they don't give AS ...if you have ever tried to contact their support, good luck.

Installing Parallel Tools is no issue for me, Ventura 13.0.1.

14. norse2

norse2 Bit poster

I just purchased Parallels 18 for this very function on my M1 MacBook Air. Time for a refund.

15. UlfertG

UlfertG Bit poster

Found this thread after researching why I can't log in.
    At least now I know I can stop looking for a solution. And that I don't need to renew my subscription for now because w/o this function this software is of no use for me rn.
    Hope this gets sorted eventually and info about it gets posted here.

16. PaulH44

PaulH44 Bit poster

Lot of ire aimed at Parallels here for something that Apple did. May still be true that without Apple ID signin capability, the usefulness of Parallels is diminished. But Apple specifically blocked Apple ID signin in virtualized environments, it was a conscious and intentional decision on their part, and it affects anything using the virtualization framework on Apple Silicon. It's Apple that needs to be convinced, Parallels is waiting for this just like the rest of us are. So stomping around blustering at Parallels may make you feel better, but it's entirely pointless. Stomping around and blustering at Apple would at least be blustering in the right direction.

17. oztrev

oztrev Member

Sorry, Apple didn't use a misleading and deceptive product description for Parallels on Apple Silicon, Parallels did. (And it's not just the inability to use an Apple ID... the product is missing most of the features the Intel version has.)

Incarnadine likes this.
  18. PhilipP8

PhilipP8 Junior Member

@PaulH44 I fully agree. It's not up to Parallels to be "waiting for this just like the rest of us are". Either they get busy working with Apple on a solution OR they change the way they advertise and sell their product. After all, it is currently being sold with some misleading advertising and only by diving into their knowledge base articles one can find out that a number of those advertised promises are not working ...

Grey Shadow likes this.
  19. KevinD15

KevinD15 Bit poster

Would be great to get someone from Parallels to post an update here or let us know where things stand. This along with the ability to create Linked Clone on a Guest MacOS VM is still not possible on M1. I am holding on to my Intel MacBook and a second Parallels subscription just for this use case. Very disappointed in Parallels.

20. GabrielB10

GabrielB10 Bit poster

Just one more +1 on this topic
    My setup: MacBook Pro 16" 2023, M2-Max, MacOS Ventura 13.2.1.
    My problem: I get "Action could not be completed" when I try to install/setup a MacOS VM with my existing Apple ID.