SQL Server Update to Install on Windows for Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mundford, May 13, 2021.

1. AlejandroS6

AlejandroS6 Bit poster

Pudiste hacerlo??

2. AlejandroS6

AlejandroS6 Bit poster

How you did it bro?, can u help us?. I've tried but y failed. Tks from Argentina

3. Jan-WillemS

Jan-WillemS Bit poster

I can confirm that this still works. The download link for the windows 10 image can be found in the reddit comments (it's on somebody's google drive). I've included CU17 immediately during the SQL 2019 install, yet you still need to install it twice. The second time it will succeed. Including the CU can be done by running setup.exe /Action=install /UpdateEnabled=true /UpdateSource=<path to cu>. The path to the CU is the location of the downloaded exe file. Don't extract it, and don't specify the file name, just the folder.
    Afterwards download the windows 11 arm public release from https://uupdump.net/. Assemble it on the windows 10 VM (does not work on macOS), and mount the ISO inside the windows 10 VM. Then upgrade using the setup.exe inside the ISO.

AbdulH7 likes this.
  4. JimChiu

JimChiu Bit poster

Can you install and run SQL Server 2022 + VS 2022 the same way?
    Somehow, SQL LocalDB 2019/2022 fail to execute on Win 11 in my case.

5. m.aLiY

m.aLiY Bit poster

I am able to install SQL Server but unable to update OS to windows 11. Can you please help me to fix this? I even downloaded windows 10 latest version but got the issue [image is attached]. It will be great if you could help. Thank you.

Attached Files:

6. RichardR21

RichardR21 Bit poster

After banging my head against a brick wall ever since getting my new M1 Max MacBook Pro trying to get SQL Server 2008 Express (or any other version!) installed so that I could use my old accounting software (MS Office Accounting 2009 Express) and not have to fire up my old Dell laptop every time I want to create an invoice, I found that it's really simply a case of installing the 32-bit version!

I hadn't tried this previously, since all the advice as to why SQL Server won't install on Windows 11 makes no mention of it being only a 64-bit issue. Also, I was under the impression that I wouldn't be able to restore my database, backed up from a 64-bit install, onto a 32-bit install. You can, so long as the database is the same or newer version. In my case I had an odd SP3 version 10.0.5538, but installing the newest SP4 update (after finding the base installer for SQLServer 2008 Express x86 on CNET) and my DB restored without missing a beat.

7. TamM

TamM Bit poster

can you guide me how to connect Windows using Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio?

8. LaurenG2

LaurenG2 Bit poster

I know I don't have a Mac M1 now but I do have a Surface Pro X running Windows 11 ARM64 22H2. I just installed SQL Server 2014 x64 version on it with no issues. The problem is that you need the RTM version of 2000 for it to work. I tried to upgrade to SP3 and it wouldn't take it. It errored out on using Windows Update... but the RTM 2000 build works just fine for x64. Since you're running it in Parallels, I would bet your Win11 should work about the same too.

Good luck.

9. LaurenG2

LaurenG2 Bit poster

I couldn't get the SP3 to install until I ran it on the admin command prompt using this. I extracted the installer to a flash drive and did this:

setup /ACTION=UPGRADE /USEMICROSOFTUPDATE=false /quietsimple /iacceptsqlserverlicenseterms=1 /updateenabled=0

Seems the problem is with Windows Update.... so I'm crossing my fingers and trying a later version in a few minutes.

10. LaurenG2

LaurenG2 Bit poster

crap.... :/ Thought that worked... turns out it won't start.... Thought I had it . :( Nevermind. (can't delete the posts above or else I would....)

11. Saad2

Saad2 Bit poster

Hi did you find a solution for this?

12. LukasV2

LukasV2 Bit poster

Best Answer
    I've created a script that can install SQL Server Express 2019 and 2022 in Parallels on M1. You can download it here: https://github.com/jimm98y/MSSQLEXPRESS-M1-Install. Just run the bat file and wait until it completes.

It turned out the problem is not in the SQL Server, but in their installation. The script just fixes the installation so that the service can be started. I've been able to successfully use the SQL Express for development after installing it this way.

So far the only drawback I know about is that the LocalDB feature is not working from the ARM64 version of the Visual Studio. It looks like the ARM64 VS is trying to load x64 DLLs from the SQL installation, which obviously won't work. Otherwise, ASP.NET apps can connect to the SQL Server instance and I am also able to use the SSMS to manage the databases.

GlennW3, ping2, LucaR7 and 7 others like this.
  13. EddyK2

EddyK2 Bit poster

LukasV2, you are a hero! Thanks a lot as that saved me a lot of time and frustration and good evening instead of a stressful one!

14. ManfredB9

ManfredB9 Bit poster

Hey LukasV2, just for curiosity. Are you in Windows 11? or 10? I ran your script but some error are popping.

15. faisal3

faisal3 Bit poster

Can anyone help me

Attached Files:

16. Sean25

Sean25 Bit poster

Thank you LukasV2 for the amazing script. I'm finally able to use ssms.. And for those who run into errors while installing SQL in the first step. Copy the script to a local folder (C:\Temp) and run it from there. It looks like when running it from a network file path it won't work, as the PowerShell cannot access it.

17. faisal3

faisal3 Bit poster

18. JeffC22

JeffC22 Bit poster

19. LukasV2

LukasV2 Bit poster

I'm on Windows 11.

20. JeffC22

JeffC22 Bit poster

@LukasV2 once again, thank you for this! Question though: I'm running into an issue where on SQL 2022 Dev edition, I can't connect more than one user. I have several datasources with cached connections which is normally not a problem, but for some reason I can't have more than one connected. Do you think this is in any way related to your install script, or just a coincidence and I'm dealing with something else?

I've spent endless hours trying to figure this out (checking every setting under the sun) and at this point I'm just coming back to the installer you setup and am wondering if maybe I need to run it again with a different setting/switch or something.

Thanks!