Please add a FreeBSD option as it does work on Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by ParallelsU803, Nov 3, 2021.

1. rrpalma

rrpalma Junior Member

You're the best. Thank you SO MUCH.

salvomic likes this.
  2. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Try it, and, please, tell me if it works :)

3. rrpalma

rrpalma Junior Member

Will do. Thanks!

salvomic likes this.
  4. rrpalma

rrpalma Junior Member

Got KDE5 to work on FreeBSD 13.1 in a Parallels VM. Had to switch the repos from QUARTERLY to LATEST and then the KDE5 installation went smoothly.
    However, I haven't been able to get sound to work.
    Anyone?

5. bluto

bluto Bit poster

@salvomic Help me Obi Wan ;-)
    I have installed FreeBSD 13.1 under Parallels.
    1. My /boot/ directory does not have a "loader.conf" file, but does have a "loader.conf.d" directory. I have tried putting a file that directory including ums_load="YES" and I also tried just adding in a loader.conf file. I have also added this (for XFCE4, but I also did the above got Gnome with the same results)
    moused_enable="YES"
    dbus_enable="YES"
    hald_enable="YES"

When I boot, I see an error: Starting default mousemoused: unable to open /dev/psm0: No such file or directory

I would really like to make either Gnome or XFCE4 work with a mouse. The screen starts up fine showing a window manager, but the mouse does not work at all. I am forced to hard stop the running VM.

Confession: I was unable to get the downloaded ISO to install, so I used this pre-packaged VM image
    FreeBSD-13.1-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64.vhdx. Other than having to change the suffix from .vhd to .vhdx to make Parallels happy, it worked fine. I did have to increase the disk size, but it all works fine from the command line. X11 boots and looks right, but the mouse is frozen.

Any hints?

Thanks!

6. bluto

bluto Bit poster

@salvomic I made it work.
    i think the Virtual Machine instance lacked some drivers.
    I installed from the ISO and used "Other" OS. Then I went through all your steps (Thank You!). I am using XCFE and the mouse works now. BTW, I still get the moused error on boot (no /dev/psm0) - but the mouse is working now under XFCE.

Thanks

salvomic likes this.
  7. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Thank you. Yes, later I was able to install the VM 3.1 on the latest version of Parallels and it works well. Your advice is great.