Internet connectivity issue since upgrade to PD 18.x in my Windows 11 VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CyrilleM2, Sep 7, 2022.

1. CyrilleM2

CyrilleM2 Bit poster

Hello,

Since I upgraded to PD 18.x my Windows 11 VM that ran perfectly with PD 17.x on my iMac Intel has now internet connectivity issue. After few minutes of running, I'm losing internet connectivity with my network card on my VM. I have to disable/enable the NIC to have internet connectivity back. But after few minutes, the issue occurs again.
    Is there other persons here with the same issue? I have PD 18.0.1 installed on my iMac Intel.

Thanks in advance.

2. Greg21

Greg21 Bit poster

I have the same issue. Everything worked fine with PD 17.x, but since the upgrade the internet connection is sometimes very slow, or breaks off completely.

3. CrazyDiamond

CrazyDiamond Bit poster

Same here. Removed and reinstalled Parallels Tools to no avail. Issues with all networking types, Shared, Host only, Bridged default Bridged Wifi
    Windows 11 Arm Build 22622.598
    macOS 12.6
    MacBook Air M1 2020

4. Richard3

Richard3 Member

I believe this problem just happened to me. I updated to Parallels Pro 18.0.2 from Parallels (standard) 17 on Saturday Sept 18th. I've been a Parallels users since Desktop 7, 2012. I don't recall this problem ever happening before - having to restart Parallels application after shutting down VMs to restore internet.

macOS Monterey v12.5.1 on a MacBook Pro 16-Inch 2019 8 Core i9 / 32GB Memory

Moments ago before visiting this thread internet started to come and go on my Win10 (non-ARM). Then it seemed to go completely. I restarted Win10, this did not restore internet. I then checked my Oracle Linux Server, it also lost internet. Restarting it did not restore Internet. I shut down both VMs and restarted Parallels Pro 18.0.2. I started Oracle Linux Server first, internet restored. Started up Win10 (non-ARM) internet restored.

I then shut them both down and then MacBook and started everything back up fresh (cause, why not?). Internet still operational on Oracle Linux Server and Win10 (non-ARM).

I think something bad is lurking in this new Parallels 18.0.2 .... I hope Parallels tech pop in and follow up.

5. AlexD3

AlexD3 Bit poster

Same here. Issue started after upgrading to PD 18.
    Client - Windows 10 VM. Network connection to VM drops.
    From within Windows VM pinging gateway "PING: transmit failed. General failure."

Connection type does not make difference. The only way to restore connection is to change ANY settings on VM Networking in PD. Connection restores instantly until next cycle.

6. Richard3

Richard3 Member

this is happening roughly every three days for me.... anything support guys?

7. Richard3

Richard3 Member

This happened again when I woke up my MacBook this morning. What is new is that I had my MacBook on mute last night, which WinOS had followed. When I unmuted my MacBook, WinOS didn't follow.

Shut down WinOS, exited/closed Parallels, started up Parallels and then started up WinOS. Both network and sound controls started to work.

8. CrazyDiamond

CrazyDiamond Bit poster

I am having the same issue. Changing network settings doesn't work, rebooting either/both host and guest doesn't work, reinstalling Tools doesn't work. However, if I activate network conditioning (even using Custom with unlimited bandwidth), the guest works. macOS 12.6 on M1 Air, Windows 11 22H2 (22623.730), PD 18.0.2 (53077)

IvanR8 and GregE4 like this.
  9. jess4

jess4 Bit poster

I just updated to 18.1.0 from 17.x today. I have tried to use the internet twice, with gap of a couple of hours between. Each time it fails, and my web browser suggests I use Windows Network Diagnostics to identify the problem. The utility then runs and resets the "Ethernet" adapter which solves the problem. But apparently only temporarily. It's frustrating that a solution hasn't made it to this forum thread (yet?). I find Parallels Help challenging to find answers which should be pretty straightforward.

10. Richard3

Richard3 Member

i have now updated to Windows 11, from Windows 10. The problem continues to occur. I have submitted ticket #3777076 - seems no one from Parallels will visit this thread. I look forward to getting the run around on my ticket... not.

11. Richard3

Richard3 Member

The customer support people are running me around in circles. They had me change to "default" network but that won't work for me as I need "Shared" but I did that "tip" and internet came back without restarting anything. I just can't be living with a IP that I'd be getting from the DHCP server that my MacBook is connected to, I need the shared IP from Parallels Host, full stop!

They also wanted me to reinstall tools, as if I haven't tried that (I been around since v7 of Parallels). Plus that got done when I updated to Win11 last week. Worthless tip and a waste of time IMO.

Interesting thing, when I switched back to "shared" internet died after it started working with the hot switch to "default". I then rebooted my Win11 VM with "Shared" still enabled - no internet on boot up. Then powered down Win11 VM, closed Parallels Host app on MacOS, started it back up, powered on Win11 VM. Internet came back (as expected).

Pretty sure Parallels v18 "Shared" network has some kind of a ticking bomb that kills internet after a few days of continued operation (I pretty much never turn off my MacBook Pro).

EduE likes this.
  12. bucweat@rushpost.com

bucweat@rushpost.com Member

Parallels Version 18.1.1 (53328) running on 2018 MBP. Seeing similar/same issue here where at some point after parallels has been running for a couple of days (and possibly after MBP waking from sleep), none of my VMs (usually one running but sometimes two or three) have network connectivity. OS DOES NOT matter (MacOS/Linux/Win10/Win11). Solution has been to suspend VM, quit and restart Parallels Desktop, and resume VM. This would tell me that something has happened to the virtual network interface/service provided by Parallels Desktop (prl_naptd?). Looking through man pages for prlctl and prlsrvctl and not seeing any way to restart the Virtual Network Service...that would be a nice feature...

13. bucweat@rushpost.com

bucweat@rushpost.com Member

So this happened again, and I've done some more troubleshooting. The network is NOT down. The issue is that DNS is not working. I can ping IP addresses e.g. 1.1.1.1. However, nslookup www.apple.com 1.1.1.1 results in DNS request timed out.

For ICMP, runnning wireshark in both VM and host. In the VM the ICMP packets show up, and in MacOS host wireshark the ICMP packets show up.

For DNS, outgoing nslookup DNS standard query packets are logged in VM wireshark, but no DNS standard query response packets. The wireshark on MacOS host does not see any of this DNS packet traffic. However, if I suspend the VM, quit and restart parallels, and resume the VM, everything works as expected...both VM and MacOS host wireshark see all DNS query and response traffic.

So MacOS sleep/wake cycle appears to be causing some kind of issue with parallels virtual networks and DNS.

14. KarstenS7

KarstenS7 Bit poster

We're having the same issue - even went so far as to create an entirely new VM and it too has the identical issue. This is true of all methods of connection: shared, bridged, etc.
    Additionally, bridge mode does not seem to be working correctly at all - it's not assigning the IP address of the Mac ETH NIC it's supposed to be bridging to - instead it's leasing a new IP from our DHCP server.
    In all situations it requires either a manual change of the IP address OR a reboot of the guest OS on the VM.

15. GregE4

GregE4 Bit poster

THIS!

Activating Network Conditioning stopped my network from failing every 10-20 minutes. Thank you very much for your post!

16. kpowick

kpowick Bit poster

Same problem here. Insanely annoying. Tried all suggested "solutions" I could find in the forums, but nothing worked.
    macOS (13.1) and Parallels (18.1.1) on a M1 MacBook Pro.

17. KarstenS7

KarstenS7 Bit poster

I had a remote session w/ their support yesterday regarding this issue, made the changes they suggested, ran an overnight test - and it failed. VM is still dropping connection (file sharing) to the VM and it also loses any DNS lookup ability.

18. kpowick

kpowick Bit poster

I reverted Parallels to 17.1.6. Internet connectivity for Windows 11 seems to be working again.

19. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

To further investigate the issue you encountered, we have created a ticket and will contact you by email.

20. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

To further investigate the issue you encountered, we have created a ticket and will contact you by email.