Parallels installer crashing

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MurrayA, Sep 26, 2022.

1. MurrayA

MurrayA Bit poster

Hello,

I have been trying for some weeks now to update from 17 to 18.
    When opening parallels i get a "new version available" prompt, and choose update. nothing happens and eventually the app stops responding altogether.

I have downloaded the dmg for v18 directly and tried the installer that way.
    The process gets up to the "Installing Parallels Desktop" stage, then closes after approximately 30 seconds. The parallels desktop icon in the task bar reports "application not responding" and im forced to quit.

this is driving me crazy and i cant find any solution to this issue. Is there a way to manually extract the package contents to the applications folder to install?

2. JohnK59

JohnK59 Bit poster

I have a similar situation. New user. Downloaded the v18 installer. It runs to the point where it downloads files, then ... nothing. Nada. Zip.

3. JohnK59

JohnK59 Bit poster

Update: I spent an hour online with Support (via Chat) last night. Could not get the Desktop 18 Installer (18.0.2-53077) to work. I had to generate a system report using a command line tool that comes with the Parallels installer. Being bumped to next Tier of Support.

My setup: MacBook Air M1 (2020), 16Gb, 1TB SSD, MacOS 12.6

4. JohnK59

JohnK59 Bit poster

Update: although the Parallels Desktop 18 installer directly downloaded from Parallels.com doesn't work for me, I *was* able to successfully install Parallels Desktop App Store edition from the Apple App Store. Not sure what the difference is, but I was able to successfully install Win 11 ARM which works like a charm!