PD16 not using eGPU

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HoK, Aug 26, 2020.

1. HoK

HoK Bit poster

As you can see in iStat Menus, PD 16 does not use eGPU (tried 2 different games)
    Also checked the "prefer external GPU" box.

I am on Catalina 10.15.6

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2020
  2. Hello,
    Could you please clarify, would you like to use your eGPU in VM directly? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    If not, please provide us with the technical report data, collected right after the issue reproduced.
    (Please post the report's ID here)
    Also please share the games' names with us please.
    Looking forward to your reply.

3. We're still looking forward to your reply.
    Please contact us at your earliest convenience.
    Thank you for your time.

4. EdgarasP

EdgarasP Bit poster

Hello,

I have a question. Is it possible to use egpu directly ? Then windows will recognise my AMD RX 5700XT ?
    Thanks,
    Edgaras

5. Hello Edgaras,
    It is not possible to connect an eGPU device directly to VM, as they are being connected to Mac via PCIe interface which requires VT-d technology support to make virtualization of such connection possible, but VT-d on Mac can't be used for passing an external GPU to a virtual machine.
    Please check this KB article for more information and let us know if you have any additional questions.

6. EdgarasP

EdgarasP Bit poster

Thank you for your answer. I have another question though. As i understand Parallels is using half and half amount of memory i set up under hardware settings. If i set 8gb and video memory to auto ir Parallels will use 4gb for system and 4gb for video, correct ? The main question is if i have 8gb video card and 8gb of ram on my laptop how can i use full gpu potential ? Right now max Parallels allow me to use is 2gb for video if set manualy. Thanks

7. TravisE

TravisE Bit poster

If it is like me, I would like to see my eGPU used for game processing instead of having that done by the built in GPU on my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019). And it is possible it is, but right now in the graphics configuration of VM running windows 10 it says it is using System Memory for graphics.