Unusably slow Mojave VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JamesMcDowell, Oct 4, 2022.

1. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

I've been sticking with Mojave on my Mac for quite some time as I still use Adobe CS6 products.

As a trial I thought I'd give it a go and update to Monterey (I have a backup, I can go back to Mojave if need be) and try creating a Mojave VM to run Photoshop and a couple other older editing apps (I know, graphics performance (?), don't get ahead of me.)

I updated Parallels to 18.0.2 and created a Parallels VM running Mojave. Before I even got as far as installing any apps on it I found it's performance to be unusable. Clicking on objects, they sometimes don't respond, dragging windows around is horrible, it's effectively a broken machine. Trying to access shared folders, they don't respond 50% of the time. Everything is painfully slow.

On the other hand my Windows VMs are all working fine. I have updated Parallels tools on all of them, including the new Mojave VM. I gave the Mojave VM 4 cpus and 8 gigs ram (I have lots more of both.)

I'm wondered if anyone can offer some suggestions on fixing this before I can this whole exercise and simply go back to running Mojave natively on the Mac.

2. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

I forgot to mention, it's an Intel Mac.

3. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

So I made a copy of the same VM, copied it onto a drive with a backup of Mojave and Parallels 17, let Parallels 17 update (downgrade) the Parallels tools and it works great.

As my Monterey install works fine in all other aspects, it seems that Parallels 18.0.2 is the culprit.

Personally I think that for all the money they have spent on marketing and pushing us towards a subscription model they really should be budgeting more for R&D and, in particular, quality control!