Reinstalling Software into WinXP VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by L.T, Oct 4, 2022.

1. L.T

L.T Bit poster

I'm using Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac, and running WinXP in the VM. Recently WinXP wouldn't boot. I took it to a shop which created a new VM, reinstalled WinXP, and brought the files over into the new VM. The problem is, I don't know how to reinstall the software that was brought over; also, although I can launch the VM and see the desktop (from Coherence), I'm not sure how to get in there and poke around. And if I could poke around, it seems to me I ought to be able to look at the file structure and find the relevant files to boot software such as WordPerfect. Can anybody help?

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    First, we do regret to hear that.
    Let me ask you - what does happen when you try installing the apps that have been lost, e.g. WordPerfect? Do you have the installation files for these apps? Probably, you can find one here: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/oldwpwin.html .

L.T likes this.
  3. L.T

L.T Bit poster

Thank you. I'm sure this will be a helpful link. I'm also sure there are things I am not understanding.

One thing I would like to do is bring over the various files that were in the now-nonfunctional VM. I don't know how to do that. The guy who set up the new VM for me brought over some files, but I think he brought files over from a different Windows profile than the one I actually use.

4. L.T

L.T Bit poster

I don't have the original installation files any more either. I'm sure I have a CD of WordPerfect, but I don't even have a CD drive on this computer, which is a successor to the computer I originally installed the program on.

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

You may try to attach the drive from the old virtual machine as a second drive to the new instance:
    1. Make sure your new virtual machine is shut down.
    2. Open the configuration settings of the new virtual machine > Hardware > + > Hard disk > select the .hdd drive of the old virtual machine.