VM will not start after having to force-quit Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MacUser13, Dec 5, 2007.

1. MacUser13

MacUser13 Bit poster

I was using beta build 5540, and had selected menu item Actions->Revert to Snapshot. Then Parallels Desktop hanged with the Mac rainbow-thing for about a minute, so I force-quitted it via Command-Option-Escape.

Now I cannot start my VM at all.. I keep get the following error message when I try to start up:

------
    Virtual machine cannot be started because of the following problem:

Parallels Desktop is unable to access the virtual hard disk image
    file /Users/~/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP/winxp.hdd. The file is used by other application.
    ------

I have tried restarting, uninstalling/reinstalling build 5540, then installing build 5160 when that did not work.. but nothing works.. I also cannot revert to any of my snapshots (an error message says "One or more of snapshot files are locked.")

Can this be fixed ?.. I don't want to have to recreate my 20 GB image file.. That would be a huge hassle..

Details:

System: Mac Pro 2.66 GHZ with 4 GB RAM; OS X Leopard v10.5.1

The VM OS is Windows XP SP2 ; 19.53 GB, Plain Disc (not expanding or split-disk), was using 2048 MB Main Memory & 64 MB Video Memory at the time of the crash.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

hi,
    seems hdd lock file stayed after application quit. Go to VM home dir and delete it manually.

3. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please in the Finder, browse the virtual machine folder (the default path is: Documents-Parallels-Virtual Machine).
    Find and delete the ".sav" and ".mem" files in the virtual machine folder.
    If you still have this problem please write me back.

Best regards,
    Stacey

4. geofcorb

geofcorb Junior Member

Same Problem

I am having the exact same problem. Following Stacey's steps has not remedied it. Is there a lock file hiding someplace else that needs to get wiped out?

5. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to do the following:
    1. Find your Parallels hard disk file whose name ends with .hdd. Usually it is located in the Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Parallels/ or Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Documents/Parallels/ folder. You can use Finder to find the .hdd file.
    2. Right-click the file and choose Open Package Contents from the pop-up menu.
    3. In the window that opens, you should see the lock file - it ends in .lck. Just drag it out of the package window to your desktop (don't touch anything else).
    4. Close the package window and you should be able to start up Parallels with no issues. Once you've verified Parallels starts up OK, you can trash the .lck file.

Best regards,
    Stacey

6. Saurus

Saurus Bit poster

Hi, I have tried this fix above and removed the ".lck" (DiskDescriptor.xml.lck) but this has had no effect. I am still getting the same error.

http://saurus.co.uk/media/Picture 1.jpg

Anybody got any other solutions? Thanks

7. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to use this article.

Best regards,
    Stacey