5582 Installer Hangs

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mcbuckeye, Dec 6, 2007.

1. mcbuckeye

mcbuckeye Junior Member

Help!

I am trying to install 5582 on my MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.5.1.

The installer starts, and says "Running Parallels Desktop Installer script" and just stays there, never making any progress. The progress bar has a slim sliver of blue and never moves.

I restarted my Mac prior to running the installer.

Any suggestions on how to get this installed?

2. mcbuckeye

mcbuckeye Junior Member

I found what seems to be a fix to this over at another thread in the Beta section. While the installer is running if you open terminal and run:

cd /Volumes/Parallels Desktop/Install Parallels Desktop.pkg/Contents/Resources

then

sudo ./preflight

it'll kickstart the installer and finish successfully.

I think it worked.

3. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

My workaround was to start the installer just before I went to bed (1am last night) then when I work up at 7am, it was 75% complete. By 8am, it was done.

Now, looks like I will have to reinstall again because after rebooting my Mac Book Pro the application once again failed to start up. That was the reason I had to reinstall in the first place.

There is something seriously wrong with this version which requires a complete reinstall after a one time use.

4. Ephra

Ephra Member

I had the same thing; had to make a forced quit. Could'nt use my key when I tried it manually, and was forced to reinstall 4560 again and update to 5160 again. Took me hours.
    Please, is there an easy, step by step 'how-to' available instead of complicated terminal commands?

5. Ephra

Ephra Member

6. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Guys,
    Please check your PMs.

7. Mark Ahlquist

Mark Ahlquist Bit poster

My installer hangs too

I am having the same installer problems with any build since I tried to install the latest release. (am using Leopard) Even my old one downloaded when I first bought Parallels won't load now. I have followed all the instructions so far except for the ones involving using terminal. Is that the only way. No build will work now and I have pulled everything out, checked permissions and checked the library files. Help. Mark Ahlquist

8. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

I wonder what a PM is?

9. jgcamil

jgcamil Bit poster

Same issue

Arrgh!

Same issue, installer hangs at the beginning... using Leopard. Followed the instructions about disk repair, deleting library extension items, etc.

Thing still hangs!!!

Now, i cant install any other build...

Please help!

J.

10. johnborges_fl

johnborges_fl Bit poster

Same Issue- (but I as able to go back in Time)

Just wanted to confirm the observations that the procedure called for in the KB did not work for me either. I ran this process 3 times, the last time as admin and the installer hung up every time. Left a support request to Parallels but they dont usually respond.

The irony is that even though I was running Leopard, i did not have any problems with the prior build (5160) and was using my VM's without any problem. The Fix that was listed here called for me to wipe out my parallels install completely.

Rather than re-install, I took this opportunity to use Time Machine for real for the first time. I restored all of the files/folders listed in KB here, restarted, and got my old install back.

At least that works.

11. jgcamil

jgcamil Bit poster

Unfortunately, I did not use the time machine feature... therefore, I have no Parallels left in my mac, so I'm facing hell this upncoming monday.

12. Mark Ahlquist

Mark Ahlquist Bit poster

Installer Hangs- finally corrected

I found a post that solved my problem finally. It works through terminal. I am a non techie person and have never used terminal but this is a copy and paste and it does work. I wish Parallels would make it not necessary with a revision to the installation process but it does work. Just follow the directions below that I copied and pasted here.

"I'm installing Parallels for the first time, experienced this problem, and this
    solution fixed it for me.

The command line operations (suitable for copy/paste) are:

cd "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop/Install Parallels Desktop.pkg/Contents/Resources"
    sudo ./preflight

Try copying and pasting the above command into terminal at the prompt. I would start the installer and when it hangs simply open terminal and paste the above command in at the prompt and it asked for my password and then the installer script would go and the program almost finished loading before I could get back to the installer screen.

13. johnborges_fl

johnborges_fl Bit poster

Didnt work for me

Tried that shell workaround, didnt work for me.
    Installer still hangs.

Still have not gotten a response from Parallels.

Shouldnt have to run special tricks to get the update to install anyway.

Not happy

14. andrew.christensen

andrew.christensen Bit poster

Solution.... maybe

Here's what i figured out. If I used the Check for updates feature, it would download the package and launch the installer. It would hang, just like everyone else is describing. I went hunting and found that there was no dmg mounted for this. At some point during the install of the package, the package actually gets deleted so it hangs.

So, I went to the parallels site and just downloaded the latest build as a dmg file and launched from there. It went through in a matter of seconds.

Hope that helps you all.

15. Yankguy

Yankguy Bit poster

I have now installed PD 3 times.. and it works until a reset

the Sudo preflight works to get it installed, but it seems to lose something in the process. I can't believe that a product such as this can get released without testing. If I did this at my job I would not have one.

I suspect there will be a "Improved" Release soon. Reminds me of the IBM days..

16. alp

alp Bit poster

I have been experiencing this exact problem, the problem occurred when I tried to install the latest build. I have tried everything to try and get any version of parallels to install, even much older versions will no longer install.

As you can probably tell from the user rating this solution does not work seem to work: http://kb.parallels.com/entry/21/235/
    however it does tell you what files are installed and where!

The sudo trick is neat but you find drivers are missing.

To solve this problem:
    1 open the install package (right click show package contents).
    2 uncompress the archive.px.gz
    3 install all the files that are not in the locations dictated by http://kb.parallels.com/entry/21/235/
    4 run the installer using the sudo trick

If the drivers report they are not installed correctly when you place them in the system library e.t.c Restart then put another copy of the drivers in, run the installer using the sudo trick and voila!

This works for me, but still I would like to know what on earth this build has done to the operating system.

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Thank you for your reports. The issue is reproduced by QA team and will be fixed in the next update. It is caused by internet sharing incorrect functioning. No harm to operating systems is done.

Best regards,
    Xenos

18. alp

alp Bit poster

Thanks for the response, I found this work around on another thread. I found tuning on and off internet sharing a couple of times worked form me.

19. johnborges_fl

johnborges_fl Bit poster

Worked Like a charm!, many thanks!.
    You do need to install as an admin in order to see the "named" process in the activity monitor.

20. ripadgett

ripadgett Bit poster

When?

So when will that be?

Rodger