5582 - Increase video memory error

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bi11, Dec 8, 2007.

1. bi11

bi11 Hunter

I left my xp vm running for a few hours. When I came back, a message saying the video memory was running low popped up. It instructed to increase the video memory. I cannot find the option that the error message pointed me to. Is the option missing?,or maybe I just can't figure out where to look.

the xp vm was running firefox the webpage was running a java based irc client.

iMac 20" 2.4ghz core 2 duo, 4gig ram, OS X 10.5.1
    xp sp2 all security updates applied, nod32 anti virus, kerio firewall(last pro version before sold to sunbelt)

2. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

3. bi11

bi11 Hunter

Geez, I searched to avoid duplicating a previous post. While I'm on it, it would be nice to have a list of "known" apps that do not work with parallels. This secrecy in not having a list, just makes for an irritation. I still would have bought parallels, even seeing a list of apps that didn't work. I only need this to bridge ms office docs and some other apps that will not run under vista(piece of junk too) with out a software upgrade or payment for newer stuff.

4. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

I can't help you there but maybe others here can help. If were you I would post a new thread about this and see what kind of response you get.

5. jasonw

jasonw Member

I'm also still getting this error in #5582.

6. bi11

bi11 Hunter

I took a sample of the Parallels process this time when I got the video memory error. I also noticed that the Parallels process was consuming 100% of one core. If the sample will be useful to the development team, let me know and I will upload it. After I acknowledged the the error message, the cpu usage went down to 4%

7. jasonw

jasonw Member

I also get this 100% CPU usage every time this dialog shows as I mentioned in a previous thread. Dialogs such as the the "you need at least 500 MB free" dialog also trigger this busy wait loop.

8. bi11

bi11 Hunter

More information. I removed from system services one autoupdater process and from the run entry in the registry, an auto updater for intervideo. An overnight run on Parallels/XP resulted in no video memory error issues. I have Kerio firewall installed, and when the autoupdate processes tried to launch another executable, Kerio would block that, until i allowed or denied the launch. It may be that the act of Kerio intercepting application launch, and waiting with it's dialog, was causing the video memory issue.

9. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

It's a matter of high CPU, Memory & Disk. Usage all at the same. The cause of the errors for me is AVG, other scanners kicking off at night. The issue only happens Coherence Mode. Switching from Coherence to Single Window then Back into Coherence unlocks the VM.

Again it's not one specific application or a specified time that causes this issue. I changed the apps in question to a time during the day and can duplicate this issue everytime when I want to now. :)

10. Chris Moss

Chris Moss Junior Member

I can get this error within a few minutes of starting up XP in 5582, without actually using it for anything.

Chris

11. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

Still have this error in 5582

Same problem. I leave my system running for some number of hours I get the video memory error. The only thing running under XP was Outlook.

This problem has been around quite awhile.

MBP 15", 2.4GHz, 4GB.