Avoid Powering off usb while logging out or sleep mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by WaD2, Dec 6, 2022.

1. WaD2

WaD2 Bit poster

Hi,

I am using a Sandisk Extreme NVME with all my VMs on this (because mbk air M1 with only 256gb wasn't the best idea xD).

So, while I'm studying or being at work, i use VMs that I have put on the external disk to keep space on the mbk storage (and it's working very well). But the best practice is to lock the computer when i am away (even for a short time).
    Problem: each time i have to lock the screen, i should turn off properly all the working VMs and eject the external disk to avoid errors and problems.
    >I am looking for a solution to keep usb alive even when locking the computer to keep the VMs powered ON.

2. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

You'd have to look for the USB sleep feature of the computer. I've never looked for it, so it may not even exist for Macs. They problem you'll face is a mix of the fact that the Mac really can't go to sleep And keep the ports alive while combating the fact that you're also using power either way. Even if you used a powered hub, then I'd bet the Sleep mode isn't going to allow the port to stay active for the data connection.