Windows 98 Sound

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by TwisterMc, May 19, 2006.

1. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Bit poster

I installed Windows 98 SE and it works great, but there is no sound.

Can somone tell me how to get sound? Do I need to install a sound driver for W98?? If so, which one and how?

2. game_hunter

game_hunter Junior Member

How to...

You need to install the Parallels Tools. These will install a few extra goodies that improve your user experience. One is a video driver, another is a sound one.

To install these you need to have the virtual machine running and then Ctrl+Alt out of the machine and select "Install Parallels Tools" from the menu. This should, after a slight pause, start the installshield in Windows that will step you through installing those tools and require you to restart. After the restart you should have sound.

If you do not at that point have sound go to your Control Panel (In Win98) and open the System program. Look for your sound card and see if it has a yellow question mark next to it. If so, view it's "Properties" and press the "Reinstall Driver" button. The driver can be found on your Win98 machine's hardrive in Parallels-->Sound.

Enjoy!!

3. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Bit poster

I had those goodies installed. (In my opinion they should have been installed by default) However I had no sound still.

I did try to force install a sound driver and ended up breaking W98. Now after the login screen it never loads the desktop. :( Is there a disk first aid I can run?? Or do I have to re-install already?

Thanks, I appreciate the help. :)

4. game_hunter

game_hunter Junior Member

Well...

Well, I hate to recommend this, but I'd uninstall Parallels, reinstall it and then start from scratch with a new Windows machine. If this is a big hassle you may just want to wait till it's officially released to bother with that big move because it doesn't seem that the release is far off now. Perhaps a few weeks?

5. Chris Moss

Chris Moss Junior Member

When I installed Parallel tools I also had no sound. Then I wondered if it should be added in the VM configuration window, and sure enough it could be added. But still no sound. So I uninstalled Parallel Tools and then reinstalled them - it asked for my XP disk as it had now discovered some new audio hardware and now I too have sound!
    That's half the fun of this thing - no instructions so you have to figure it out - very entertaining.

Chris

6. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Bit poster

I fixed my W98 install, so it actually runs now, without having to re-install it so I'm happy for now. I'll wait until Parallels 1.0 comes out before I go re-installing anything just to get sound.

Thanks