Installing Microsoft Office on both sides: Native Mac and VM Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AnthonyE2, Aug 20, 2020.

1. AnthonyE2

AnthonyE2 Bit poster

Can I install Office 365 Apps on both sides at the same time? 1.) MacOS native, and 2.) Windows 10 in the VM?

I currently use Office apps on the Mac side with no problem. HotDocs Player is installed in Windows 10 VM and works great. For those not familiar with HotDocs, it serves as a sort of database of forms that you can customize and assemble in Word. However, when HotDocs on Windows tries to assemble documents, it cannot see and use the Mac-installed Word. It asks for Word on the Windows 10 OS. If I also install Word on the Windows 10 VM, will the two versions of Word conflict? Is this even possible?

I would prefer not to buy a Windows computer just for this purpose. HotDocs is essential to my work. I love my Mac and Parallels has worked well thus so far.

Please advise. Thank you, Tony

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I currently have multi-license subscription of Microsoft 365 (Office) and have both the Mac version installed natively, as well as a Windows version in the VM. The advantage of having the Windows version is that it also has Access and Publisher, whereas the Mac version only has Excel, Outlook, One Note, Word, and PowerPoint. There are also some subtle differences in the way the Windows versions work, especially wrt to the fonts and code pages that Macs don't have or support. I've seen some posts where people had problems using Office locking up in a Windows VM, but I have not experienced that.

3. Hello guys, please sorry for he delay in response. Please let us know does the issue still actual?

4. NikB

NikB Bit poster

Additional question on this - if you have a business O365 licence can you use this on both sides? I've tried to install on parallels, but fear that you need two keys?

5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Pretty sure the licenses are based on how many are being used at one time, not number of installations, so I think you should be ok if you're installing by logging into the microsoft account. If you're installing from different sets of Mac and Win10 files, then entering the same key should be ok as well. The keys are checked online to check the validity of the license itself and are not embedded into the files.

6. PurrdyP

PurrdyP Bit poster

Oh, that sounds like a pretty daunting task. To be honest, I had no experience using apple's technology, but just recently I wanted to buy an office key on mylegitkeys.com and I also had some problems with Microsoft Office.

7. PurrdyP

PurrdyP Bit poster

Oh, that sounds like a pretty daunting task.

8. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I might suggest that anything that has the word Legit in it, might not be...