[patch] Support for kernel 5.18 (Parallel Tools 17.1.4.51567)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by (GalaxyMaster), Jun 2, 2022.

1. sbarnea

sbarnea Junior Member

It is interesting to mention that Parallels 18.1.0.53311 claimed to have fixed the installation for CentOS 9 Stream on arm64 but that is not true.
    Latest kernel on CentOS 9 Stream seems to be 5.14.0-191.el9.aarch64

Looking at the logs I can easily see how compilation of inode.c failed due to no member names set_page_dirty. I wonder how hard is to really test this before claiming that it is working, not to mention that displaying the error on screen would far better than hiding it under a TUI wizard.

2. sbarnea

sbarnea Junior Member

Sadly the previously mentioned patch cannot be applied to newer version (18.1.0)

3. AlvinS2

AlvinS2 Bit poster

We're marching to February 2023. Sorry, Is the issue still happening that not been patched?

4. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Especially since kernel 6.1.8 was just released...
    Folks, as long as Intel Macs are no longer being built, this really is a lost cause on so many levels.

5. DazOG

DazOG Bit poster

Nothing to really add except to give massive props to @Mark Fine for all his work on this. Pretty staggering to read people suggesting the help provided isn't enough.. when he's not even a Parallels employee as far as I can tell.

I've just installed the latest Centos Stream 9 on a M1 Mac, with latest Parallels (18.2.0 (53488)) and naturally the tools don't install, "set_page_dirty" being the culprit.

Pretty poor show from Parallels in sorting these problems promptly (or at all) that it takes a community member having to step in and hold everyone's hands to get things moving forwards.

6. DazOG

DazOG Bit poster

Follow the unpackaging instructions in this post, and change line 861 from:

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(5, 18, 0)
    to
    #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(5, 14, 0)

Parallels Tools will then install properly. This was tested on 5.14.0-267.el9.aarch64, Parallels 18.2.0 (53488) on a M1 Mac.

mu_2 likes this.