MacOS VM fails to boot after "Erase All Content and Settings"

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by BrentM3, Jan 28, 2023.

1. BrentM3

BrentM3 Junior Member

I wanted to reset my MacOS VM to a default state, hoping it would be quicker than just deleting the old one and reinstalling. However after doing so, I find that I can no longer boot the VM.

I was using a VM with MacOS Ventura 13.2 and I...
    • Went to System Settings
    • General
    • Transfer or Reset
    • Erase All Content and Settings
    • Entered my password
    The VM started to reboot, I saw the black screen with the Apple logo and the progress bar, but then it just went completely black. Now the MacOS VM window is completely non-responsive and I have to force quit it to go away. If I try to relaunch the VM after force quitting, I just get another black window and have to force quit it again.

I'm running Parallels Version 18.1.1 (53328) on an 13" M1 MBP.

2. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    Kindly boot your Ventura virtual machine in Recovery Mode as per this article: https://kb.parallels.com/129232.
    After booting in recovery mode, you will see a macOS Utilities screen. You can select "Disk Utility" from "Option" to repair your boot disk. If necessary, you can also reinstall your macOS.

Thanks

3. BrentM3

BrentM3 Junior Member

Hi Pramesh, thanks for the response, but starting in Recovery Mode as listed in the KB article just results in a non-responsive black screen. Just going delete the VM and reinstall unless you need any diagnostic information from it.