Wrong rights for shared folder in OSX and broken feature "shared folder"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Jan Wittrodt, May 19, 2006.

1. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

When accessing my "set as shared folder" folder in MacOSX environment today I almost got a hearth attack as it said 0 KB. All work gone? No. The folder rights were set to "no rights" for all three groups (owner; groups; other).I set proper rights using the Info window in MacOSX. Same issue with parallels folder in my applications except it was set to "access to system" only rights.

Now I'm able to access my shared folder from VM's side again --> read an write access! Might this the cause of the broken shared folder feature I've been experiencing since RC1?

2. joshv

joshv Member

I can confirm this and that the problem actually existed in beta6.

I solve it the same way by going into the folders "info" screen and changing it from what it gets set to while running parallels, "no access", to the original setting of "read write". It is happening on my "documents" folder pretty frequently.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting - we will investigate this!

4. lilac

lilac Bit poster

another problem with shared folders

For me the shared folder works as long as I don't try to access it from a windows application like word. Once I access it from word, the shared folder is no longer available in a windows explorer window or anywhere in my virtual xp. It's great that shared folders exist, but it would be really nice if the shared folder acted like a true network folder and not just like an ftp program. This issue existed in beta6 also.

If I'm just using shared folders wrong, hopefully someone can help me out.

5. gander2112

gander2112 Junior Member

I experienced this too. I work around it by copying the file fromt he shared location to the disk image, and then everything is kosher.

Geoff

6. biggianthead

biggianthead Bit poster

for what it's worth, the current build of the Parallels Desktop RC is doing the same thing. Is a fix in the works? Is there some sort of workaround?