IP Conflict after RC

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bcd2, May 18, 2006.

1. bcd2

bcd2 Bit poster

I've been using parallels with XP as a guest to Macosx. After loading the RC, I am getting an ip address conflict with the host os. Attaching screen shot. Weird haven't seen this one before. The only thing I did differently was added sound and usb capability.

Attached Files:

2. jtenenb

jtenenb Member

same problem here

3. PatFlanel

PatFlanel Bit poster

and here.
    Even going back to beta6 cant fix it and my DHCP ip address keeps resetting by one.
    It was working perfect before.

4. MagicBoy

MagicBoy Bit poster

Same here :(

I've tried a DHCP reservation using the MAC address from Parallels in my router and it's just ignoring it and grabbing one from the pool.

5. Ksafbond

Ksafbond Junior Member

The same for me !
    But I can access to Internet and to my network

6. jmclark

jmclark Bit poster

Add me to the list. I still have access to the Internet from both guest and host but I do see the same error. MBP 2.0 running RC with WinXP SP2

7. raleedy

raleedy Member

IP error messages

I'm getting the error messages as well, but unlike others in this thread I cannot get internet access under OS X as long as the VM is running Windows XP (where the internet works ok despite the OS X error messages). This is somewhat frustrating.

8. joem

joem Forum Maven

Works fine for me

I installed RC1 over beta 6, rebooted the hardware, installed Parallels tools, restarted the guest, and network access (via Airport) works just fine. Printing to network printers works fine.

It's critical to reboot the hardware (OSX) after installing a new version of Parallels to get the new kernel extensions loaded though. In the Mac world, installing an app is usually just a matter of dragging it to a convenient place and starting it, but Parallels isn't just a Mac app, it's part of the operating system, and like some of the apple hot fixes, requires a hardware restart to fully install.

Not restarting the hardware and starting Parallels can (and has for me) leave an unstable system. Restarting the hardware fixes the problem.

I'd suggest to the Parallels team that they require a restart afer install just as Apple does when they replace an OS chunk.

9. game_hunter

game_hunter Junior Member

Me three...

I'm getting the same problem under a Win98SE guest situation. I am able to access the internet, but unable to access the network.

10. zolblu

zolblu Bit poster

I'm having the same problem as "raleedy"; i.e. cannot access internet from OSX while the VM is running. Suspending the VM reestablishes internet the connection.MBP 2.16, 2GB, RC, WinXP Pro SP2.

11. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Guys - we already fixed this issue. It may happen only with Airport bridging and some DHCP servers. DHCP server doesn't recognize that request is from VM and assign to it the same IP as for Mac OS X.

So, wait for RC2 with fix. For now you can rollback to Beta6 or assign IP for VM manually.

12. mjmsmith

mjmsmith Bit poster

I'm still seeing this problem with v1.0. My LAN is all Macs + a Vonage box with a Linksys router.

13. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Did you reboot after installing? Some of the bugs don't seem to be corrected without a reboot.

14. mjmsmith

mjmsmith Bit poster

Yes, just tried shutting down Windows, then rebooting the Mac and restarting Windows. Same error...

15. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Sorry. I don't have any more brilliant ideas. I can tell you that I have a linksys router with 2 macs, 1 pc, vonage, and a tivo connected wirelessly and it's all working fine for me. It would seem evironmental.

16. Marko

Marko Member

I have 2 Desktops instances running... solved IP issues by changing the Console Network Adaptor MAC address values... eg on the second instance I just added 1 to the last value of the MAD Address of the card. Problem solved!

(I'm also running one instance on Ethernet and the other on Airport)

17. perle

perle Bit poster

I am not sure how the virtual network adaptor's MAC address appears to the outside world. I have to register all my MAC addresses with my wireless network before I can use them. The registration process requires you to connect from the adaptor you are registering. If I try to register the virtual device, it detects it as the MAC of the real device, and I can't register it. But if I change it's MAC address to an address I already registered from a NIC I'm not using at the time, then both the real and the virtual adaptor work.

Weird.