Windows XP Pro 32-bit vs 64-bit?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by FrankO1, Mar 24, 2023.

1. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

I'm interested in running Windows XP in Parallels Desktop on my Intel-based Mac to support use of old 16-bit software.
    I have access to Windows XP Pro SP3 in either 32-bit or 64-bit version. The Mac hardware is Intel 64-bit. Would there be a strong reason for choosing one or the other, 32-bit or 64-bit, both to function best in Parallels and also support running 16-bit software?

2. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Best Answer
    Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to Parallels.
    It is recommended to use the 32-bit version because only x86 versions of operating systems are supported.
    Thank you!

3. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

Thanks, I'll do that.

4. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

I have Windows XP Pro SP3 installed now in Parallels Desktop. For security, I want to disable its connection to the internet. What is the best way to do this? Should it be done within Windows, or is there a setting on Parallels Desktop to remove network connectivity?

5. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

I would remove the network adaptor in the VM's settings. I think it also simply has a disable networking option, but I'm away from my device to get the right wording.

Trishna Oobeyram likes this.
  6. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

Thanks. Actually I didn't see an option to remove the network adapter, but I did see a menu option for disconnecting the network, which was already set.

7. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello Frank,
    Aries is actually correct.
    You can remove the network adapter in the virtual machine's configuration.
    Please follow the steps to do so:
    1. Shut down your virtual machine (Actions > Shut down). If it is in a suspended state, resume it and then shut down.
    2. Open the virtual machine's Configuration: click Parallels icon || > Control Center > right-click on the virtual machine > Configure.
    3. Go to Hardware > Network and then in the bottom left click "-" to delete the network adapter from the virtual machine.
    Thanks!

8. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

That worked. Thanks!

Trishna Oobeyram likes this.