Ubuntu 20 - Bridged networking mode - able to send, but unable to receive multicast UDP packets

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ArumB, Mar 31, 2023.

1. ArumB

ArumB Bit poster

I am running an Lubuntu 20 machine on Parallels Desktop 18 on Bridged networking mode. I can confirm that I can send multicast packets to a different host connected on my wifi network but I am unable to receive multicasted UDP packets from the same host back on my Linux VM.

Any help with this?

2. paydaya

paydaya Bit poster

There are a few things you can check to troubleshoot this issue:

Check that your Lubuntu 20 machine has the correct network configuration settings to receive multicast packets. You can do this by running the command "ifconfig" in the terminal and looking for a multicast-enabled network interface.

Verify that your Parallels Desktop virtual machine is configured to use Bridged networking mode, which allows the virtual machine to share the host's IP address and connect to the same network as the host.

Check that the network configuration settings on the host machine allow multicast traffic to pass through. You may need to check your router or firewall settings to ensure that multicast traffic is allowed.

Verify that the multicast traffic is being sent to the correct IP address and port number on the Lubuntu machine. You can use tools like Wireshark or tcpdump to inspect the network traffic and see if the multicast packets are reaching your VM.

Check if any firewall or security software on the Lubuntu machine is blocking the multicast traffic. Make sure that any necessary ports are open and that the firewall is not blocking the traffic.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify the root cause of the issue and take the necessary steps to enable multicast traffic on your Lubuntu machine.