Audio interface not appearing in device manager Win 11 or my DAW

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by WilliamW18, Feb 12, 2022.

1. WilliamW18

WilliamW18 Bit poster

I have seen similar threads on this, but nothing has helped. I have the M! Mac, latest versions of Parallels, Windows 11, Parallels tools, MacOS. I am using a Presonus 6-8 USB interface, and Cakewalk Sonar Platinum DAW. I am connecting the interface to the Mac side, and setting the devices to "default" in the Win 11 settings.

If I play a video in Windows, the sound plays through my interface, so Windows is using it. The problem is that Cakewalk will not find the interface, making it unusable - I cannot assign the sound to anything, so nothing will play in the DAW. Device Manager also will not find the interface. It just finds high definition speakers and microphone, but I cannot assign those things in Cakewalk because they do not appear there. Also, the Parallels audio interface does not appear in device manager, and I have reinstalled the tools multiple times.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Support has been responsive, but there is no solution so far. I don't know if there is a glitch in Parallels, or Cakewalk in Win 11, or any of a number of other possibilities.

2. WillP6

WillP6 Bit poster

I am also dead in the water since moving to Parallels 18 and Win11 on my expensive new MacBook M2. My Presonus 1824c is not recognized by the Presonus Universal Control software which has already been validated on Win11. I can see it in the Devices -> USB & Bluetooth menu in Parallels - it is connected and checked. Of course, this same adapter and Win10 and my old MacBook worked corrected for multiple years without any issues at all. Clearly something has broken. Presonus won't help because they say it is Parallels. Please do not put me in a catch-22 by stating it is a Presonus problem which it clearly is not.

Will

3. WillP6

WillP6 Bit poster

My Parallels experience continues to go downhill. After uninstalling the Universal Control App, Win11 switched the monitor to 1024x768 and won't let me change the resolution back to the original. The combo box to select the resolution is greyed-out and I can't change it. Just updated to the new Parallels 18 today.

Any ideas? This is unacceptable.

WP

4. WillP6

WillP6 Bit poster

For anyone that is interested - the Presonus Universal Control app cannot be used with Win11 and Parallels 18 on a M1/M2 Mac. There is no current plan for support so if you use ANY Presonus audio adapter, DO NOT MOVE TO WIN11/PARALLELS18. Do not buy a M1/M2 Macbook unless you understand that you can really only use Mac apps - I would skip Parallels if you are a developer. Your expensive audio gear will be worthless. This is not the fault of Parallels - BUT it would have been nice to know this before I purchased the new $4000 macbook and Win11 Pro (you cannot use the Win11 Home version for Parallels18, so you have to pony up $200 just for a really bad OS). Parallels should make this crystal clear when you land on the Purchase page - your product may be a useless waste of money. WP

rods004 likes this.
  5. WillP6

WillP6 Bit poster

A co-worker of mine brought up a good point. If users can't access their hardware attached to their Windows VM, then what is the point of Parallels at all? I can't even use Parallels to play a video-game because my sound adapter won't work. When Apple drops Intel designs for good - which is sure to happen - then Parallels won't exist anymore. No reason to have it because Boot Camp will have the same problem - in other words, Parallels does not have value added at that point. Having used Parallels since 2008, I really hope that they can fix their problem by implementing a translation layer.

6. rods004

rods004 Bit poster

Geez! I wish I saw this before buying both M3 and Parallels. At least I can see my Behringer UMC202HD listed in the USB/Bluetooth devices list. It used to work (with certain delay) but seems that an W11-OS(?)/Pralallels-app(?) update ruined it, and I can't do anything! I agree with Will: what's the point of having Parallels if they don't fully support Windows? And Windows as well, as they supposedly started supporting their OS for ARC/Parallels. All of this just p1sses me off!!! God!!!