Rosetta 2 in Arm Linux VMs to run amd64 binaries

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by servo, Dec 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. servo

servo Bit poster

2. MatthewR20

MatthewR20 Most valuable person

Best Answer
  3. MarvinK2

MarvinK2 Bit poster

Interested in this as well. The news are out for month and I could not find any news on this regarding parallels. It would be awesome to rund amd64 apps on Linux. Anyone from parallels got and news/plans on this?

4. Kay85

Kay85 Bit poster

I really hope as well that this feature will be made available in Parallels. That would be a total gamechanger!

5. AltitudeDashboard

AltitudeDashboard Junior Member

+1 This would be a very very desirable feature

6. pgarland

pgarland Bit poster

Tested this out on UTM recently with Debian running the Opera Browser (doesn't have ARM executable) and wow! It works really well, so if Parallels could add the magic that needs to go behind Parallels Virtualisation framework to get this to work, rather than having to use Apple's. That would be preferred, and I would happily wait for that. But, if you could work your same magic on Linux VMs using the Apple framework like you're doing with macOS VMs, that could work as an Alternative VM configuration. I.e. you choose which type of VM, one with or without Rosetta2 Support, if you're limited to having to use Apple's VM framework to utilise Rosetta2.

MatthewR20 likes this.
  7. MarcoI1

MarcoI1 Bit poster

This is very much desired!

8. riccardoA1

riccardoA1 Bit poster

Yes ! Please add a smooth integration with the virtiofs just like UTM (QEMU+Apple Hypervistor) does . I kind of "Enable Rosetta on Linux (x86_64 Emulation)"

9. M-Rick

M-Rick Bit poster

Any news with that request?

10. BobW11

BobW11 Member

Thinking about this, how would this actually work? There is a setting in Docker for use of this to run AMD64 containers. It's a bit unclear what this is for in a Linux VM unless it's to run an AMD64 VM itself under Rosetta.

11. M-Rick

M-Rick Bit poster

It works perfectly well out of the box in UTM and Qemu.
    It's really fast. Ubuntu boots in 6s for me and applications launch almost instantaneously!
    And, always with UTM/QEMU, on Windows 11 with only 4 cores and 4 Gb of RAM, I get more speed on X86 Windows applications than on a native recent Intel PC.
    We did a test with my colleague. He had a huge project crashing in Microstation and it was very slow. It took 1 mn 15 to launch the software and open the project. His PC is 3 years old and with 32 Gb of RAM.
    With my configuration, 10 s only to launch the software and open the project and no crash!

BobW11 likes this.
  12. BobW11

BobW11 Member

How does this compare to Windows 11 running on ARM?

13. M-Rick

M-Rick Bit poster

Way faster than running a Surface.

14. BobW11

BobW11 Member

I would assume so. I mean comparing running that app on Win 11 in parallels?

15. M-Rick

M-Rick Bit poster

I wrote it above already:
    We did a test with my colleague. He had a huge project crashing in Microstation and it was very slow. It took 1 mn 15 to launch the software and open the project. His PC is 3 years old and with 32 Gb of RAM.
    With my configuration, 10 s only to launch the software and open the project and no crash!

It works faster on my Laptop with Parallels and Windows 11 ARM than on a native x86 PC.

BobW11 likes this.
  16. ArcadioA

ArcadioA Bit poster

Are there any updates to adding Rosetta 2 support to Parallels? Rosetta 2 in UTM works great, however I'd prefer to always be in Parallels and not have multiple hypervisors installed.

Kay85 likes this.
  17. Kay85

Kay85 Bit poster

I really hope that Parallels has Rosetta 2 support in their pipelines.
    We will probably see Intel support from Apple 2 more years from now, maximum 3 years. Then it's over.
    I don't suppose that Parallels wants to go out of business, so they should probably work on this feature sooner than later.

18. MatthewR20

19. MatthewR20

Best Answer
  20. JeffersonN

JeffersonN Bit poster

Sadly, it doesn't explain how to add support to existing or custom VMs, which is what I need.

ubid likes this.
  21. JeffersonN

JeffersonN Bit poster

The magic sauce I was looking for in Vagrant was:
    v.customize "post-import", ["set", :id, "--rosetta-linux", "on"]
    you can also invoke prlctl do this directly... it seems Parallels Tools takes care of the rest on boot; It mounts the rosetta binary on the host and sets up binfmt to use it.