No internet connection in fresh Ubuntu install

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by JulianC5, Jun 3, 2023.

1. JulianC5

JulianC5 Bit poster

I can't seem to get internet working in my Ubuntu VM.
    I can reproduce it 100% of the time. I clean install a new Ubuntu VM through the Parallels wizard, and the internet just does not work. No matter which connection setting I choose. Even shared does not work.
    "dhclient eth0" returns "device not found".

2. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello!
    In order to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    Thank you!

3. Tony B.

Tony B. Bit poster

Same issue here.
    I opened a ticket on 8/24 (which I've had no response to) - Parallels #4268905
    Clearly I do have connectivity - I am able to browse and download in terminal session(s).

MatthewR20 likes this.
  4. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi Julian,
    Have you tried reinstalling Parallels Tools? If the issue still remains, kindly collect a report and share its ID with us here.

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi Tony,
    I've moved your ticket directly to the Second Line Team.

6. HarryW8

HarryW8

Hello All! I'm having the same problem after upgrading my VM from 20.04 to 22.04. I have connectivity, but it is massively slow. A speed test on the Mac host shows download speeds of 600+ MIPS. The speed test on the Ubuntu VM shows about 5 MIPS. -- 100x slower! (I regularly need to download multi-GB files, so this is a non-starter for me.)
    The adapter shows as
    sudo dhclient enp0s5
    not as eth0.
    I've reinstalled Parallels tools but that didn't help.
    The command "modinfo iwlwifi: isuggests that an Intel driver is being used:
    filename: /lib/modules/5.15.0-84-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko
    I've spent over a day trying various solutions, but I'm stumped!!