Installing Windows XP Or Vista

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Greg27, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Greg27

Greg27 Bit poster

When I try to install either Win XP or Vista with the original CD (not a restore CD) I can get to the srceen that asks you to insert Windows XP installation cd or choose an ISO image. When I insert the original CD and click Finish, nothing happens!

When I created an ISO image and choose it from my desktop then click Finish, nothing happens!

What am I doing wrong? I have spent too much money on this software to throw it in the fireplace.

I also get the same results when I use my Windows Vista CD.

Please help!

Thanks to all in advance.

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

When you insert cd does it mount on desktop?

What kind off mac your using and witch version off parallels?

3. Greg27

Greg27 Bit poster

The CD does mount on the desktop. I am using a G5 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66GHz Intel Processors, 2GB 667 MHz Memory, 132GB Free HD space and OSX 10.4.11

I am trying to install Parallels 3.0 that I just bought. I believe it to be build 5582.

Thank you.

4. Greg27

Greg27 Bit poster

I think I have tried every suggestion in this forum and no success. I just can't get passed the FINISH button to start the installer on the OS Assistant Screen.

5. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Witch option did you take ?

1 windows express

2 typical

3 costum

6. Greg27

Greg27 Bit poster

3. Custom

I already have XP SP2 installed with Boot Camp and want to use this with Parallels. Actually I have tried all3 options and still the Finish button does not respond when I click it.

7. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Have you checked that the CD/DVD configuration for your VM is set up? If you want it to access your physical CD then you need to ensure that the VM is connected to it. If you want ti use the ISO then you need to configure the VM to know which ISO file to mount.

8. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

When you want to use bootcamp partition why do need a cd?

Choose custom, follow instructions until you can choose bootcamp partition....

9. Greg27

Greg27 Bit poster

That's the problem. I choose the custom option and follow the prompts. The very last prompt is to click Finish. When I click Finish I get no response from the program or computer. It's like I didn't click on it at all.

I can not get any further.

10. Thomasj

Thomasj Member

Does your vista dvd work properly? have you tried opening the folders on your mac?
    are you using win xp sp2?
    are you using vista 32 bit or 64 bit?
    which version of vista? home, premium, ultimate, or business?
    What is it you are trying to do with custom? why not choose express?
    Have you made sure nothing is "locking" your cd/dvd to your mac os instead of the VM?

Cheerz,

Thomas

11. JaysonSteel

JaysonSteel Bit poster

He can't test to see if it's "locked" into theVM because he can't click finish to install the VM. I am in the exact same boat... trying to get to the blue screen that is installing windows.

You click finish (from a known good .ISO, or a known good disk) and nothing happens. The disk is mounted on the mac desktop, so I know the mac is reading it. Anyone have any other suggestions?

12. JaysonSteel

JaysonSteel Bit poster

So I think I have a little insight into what the problem may be. When I first open up Parallels and run through the installation questions the box in the back that shows all the Parallels hardware only has 256mb of ram.... no CD or anything else. Could this be the reason that Parallels isn't trying to pickup the CD when I click finish?

13. clairenoyeslouie

clairenoyeslouie Bit poster

I had same problem

I had the problem where under configuration only MEMORY was showing - nothing else. I solved the problem by completely uninstalling Parallels from my mac as well as Windows XP. I went on line and reinstalled a fresh install of Parallels using the activation key that I had purchased previously. Reinstalled the Windows XP operating system and everything worked just fine. Reinstalled my windows programs and made a clone copy - just in case I would ever need it.