Cannot print to Airport Extreme Printer from Parallels???

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jmshack, Dec 14, 2007.

1. jmshack

jmshack Bit poster

Hi.

I've got the demo version of Parallels, and 15 days to solve the following problem. If I succeed, I'll thankfully buy the product, if not, I'll stick with vmware for lack of any better options.

I have a home office network and there is a Canon Pixma iP6000D printer attached to an Airport Extreme. I have two Macs, one a PowerBook Pro G4 and the other (which is hosting Parallels) a MacBook Pro running Leopard (10.5.1). The following discussion pertains to the MacBook Pro/Leopard hosting Parallels 3.0 and I have Windows XP Professional installed within Parallels.

I can print to the Canon printer on the Airport Extreme from both Macs, as I have set up the printer in OS X. So printing from the Mac is fine, no problems. I have also enabled printer sharing on the Mac, and I have shared the "Canon iP6000D" printer on the Mac. I have also disabled (temporarily) the firewall on the Mac.

I am running the vm in "Shared Networking" mode (although I have also tried this in Host Only to no avail).

I have successfully "installed" the printer in Windows XP within the vm. That went fine. I have the printer available and it says in "Printers and Faxes" that the printer "Canon iP6000D (Home Office)" is available. I know if must have connected to the Mac ok to get that information. HOWEVER, I CANNOT PRINT.

If I right click on properties, and try to print a Test Page, it says it printed it, but regardless of what I do, NOTHING comes out on the printer.

I am left to conclude that it is impossible to print from Windows XP within a Parallels VM to a shared printer on an Apple Airport Extreme. Is this correct?

Can someone prove me wrong? I'd love for you to. But I'd at least like to know one way or another, to KNOW whether this is or is not impossible.

Thanks much.

2. jmshack

jmshack Bit poster

Meant to say the printer is on an Airport EXPRESS, not Airport Extreme.... Sorry.

3. jpohler

jpohler Bit poster

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Set up printer sharing on one of your Mac's. Then use Bonjour for Windows from within your VM to see that printer through the Mac, then print to the Mac printer. That way, the Mac provides the drivers.

There may be a more elegant solution, but at least this should work.