Installing ie7 after ie6 and keeping both

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by thecount, Dec 19, 2007.

1. thecount

thecount Junior Member

Hi, can anyone help, I need to run ie7 now too to check cross browser performance when developing websites. I currently have ie6 running wihin xp on paralells on my Mac.

Bit of a Parallels newbie and also, I am a long standing user of Macs and not PCs.

thanks in advance.

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

hi,
    i guess you can install ie7 into your XP system. It mustn't override ie6 and these two browsers will presents at system without any issues.

3. thecount

thecount Junior Member

Hi, what do you mean exactly?

basically, I tred to install ie7 and it did overwrite ie6 so I had to uninstall ie7 and then re install ie6 again.

4. gurk

gurk Bit poster

IE6 + IE? Sure!

Needed the same setup myself, and found this excellent installer: http://tredosoft.com/multiple_IEs

Have used it for months now, works like a charm...

5. thecount

thecount Junior Member

great, thanks.

Just wondering though, is it best to overwrite ie 6 with 7 and then install the multi version installer? as I already have ie6 installed.

6. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

You could also do two separate VM's, one with IE6 and one with IE7. That might be better for testing since that is how your users might be configured. Clone your current VM and install IE7 in the clone.

7. thecount

thecount Junior Member

That sounds like a option. What's the easiest way to do that by the way?

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I would go the latter, it's easy. Just duplicate your install folder, when you get in change your network name, etc. Make sure that you don't have the allotted RAM to both the machines exceeding your total physical memory, that doesn't help if you decide to open them both at once.

Once the folder is duplicated, they are just two VMs.