Clipboard synchronization

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sgpub, May 20, 2006.

1. sgpub

sgpub Junior Member

When I copy something in Word 2003 in Guest OS WinXP Pro (ctrl-C) and try to paste it into a Mac application (cmd-V), all that's pasted is what I had previously copied on the Mac.

I've checked the Parallels Tools Center in the WinXP and it shows as 'Enabled'.

Sorry it's such a basic question, but what do I need to do to get this to work? I tried quickly browsing through the forum to find the answer, but the number of posts is a bit overwhelming!

Thanks in advance.

SG

Mac Mini Duo, Mac OS 10.4.6, Parallels RC, WinXP Pro SP2

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

And which data showed in Parallels Tools Center in Clipboard tab?

3. sgpub

sgpub Junior Member

Nothing did.

I've realised why this problem probably arose. Because I use the Alt key extensively in Windows XP to access menu items, I had switched the Guest OS to Other/Other as suggested in another thread. When I switched it back to Windows XP, I found that the Clipboard Sync. was working. Apologies -- my error in posting the original question.

I've switched Guest OS back to Other/Other because the Alt key is more important than Clipboard Sync at the moment.

Thanks for your help.
    SG

4. sgpub

sgpub Junior Member

Further note in case it helps:

Even when using Other/Other for Guest OS, I can copy text from the Mac side and paste it into a Word document open in WinXP. It doesn't work the other way round.

SG

5. jkragenb

jkragenb Bit poster

I'm having similar problems with the clipboard, even after installing RC1 and updating Tools.

After copying a selection of text in Parallels running WinXP SP2 (doesn't matter what program it's copied from), Parallels Tools indicates the clipboard contains my copied text. But when I try to paste into Word 2004 (Mac), nothing happens. (Clipboard works fine, however, so long as pasting occcurs within Parallels.)

Interestingly, I can paste to some other applications on the OS X side - for example, I can paste to Pages '06. The problem there is that the format of the text is entirely lost.

Great software - thanks to everyone on the development team; I've already paid for my copy. Hopefully this kink can get ironed out, along with the continued problems with shared folders....

6. revjml

revjml Bit poster

Clipboard - Windows to Mac

Unfortunatly its not an easy thing to do but it's do able. Activate Filesharing within Parallels and create a folder. I called it "Stuff" then copy whatever you want to either Word or Notepad on the Windows side save it within the file sharing folder, (Stuff), then go the Mac side and open the file in the folder called Stuff and then you can paste it to whatever app on the Mac side.

I am speculating that its a Windows issue related to the clipboard as to why its such a pain but that's only a guess!!