drag and drop quit working

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by synterx, Dec 18, 2007.

1. synterx

synterx Bit poster

Been using Parallels with XP on my macs since it came out. I just got a new MBPro, and installed everything as usual, fresh clean Parallels, just downloaded today, so it's current. Now I can't drag a file from the mac desktop to windows desktop. I get a white circle with a line through it. Never did that before, always worked (well, not before that feature was officially added...).

Checked all the settings, don't see anywhere that could effect that. I don't think I need a shared folder setup, as I rarely do that. I just occasionally drag a folder or two around.

Any ideas?

2. khennes

khennes Junior Member

Did you do the Mac security update this week by any chance? It could be a coincidence, but my drag and drop has also stopped working from Mac to Windows (although works from Windows to Mac) and the only software update of any kind that I have done in the interim is Security update 2007-009. Cut and Paste is now broken in this direction too.

3. synterx

synterx Bit poster

yes, I just did last night before I installed Parallels and XP. And you are correct, I can drag from windows to mac, just not mac to windows. Whew, at least I'm not alone. Unfortunately, I rarealy drag from windows to mac, so this is of little consulation to me. I hope someone else knows of a workaround to this.

4. phil@exworld.org

phil@exworld.org Bit poster

Use migrated hard drive on desktop

I'm running into the same problem. Work around is to open the Parallels migrated hard drive that appears on the OS X desktop. You can drill down to your Windows user folder and copy files from Mac to the Windows desktop.

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

try to reinstall Parallels Tools please.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

6. khennes

khennes Junior Member

Tried that - Doesn't fix the problem.

7. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

khennes, could you please tell what MacOS and Parallels build you have?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

8. khennes

khennes Junior Member

I am running Parallels 3.0 for Mac, Build 5582. My MacPro is running 10.4.11 and my Guest OS is Windows XP.

I installed Security Update 2007-009 (10.4.11 Universal) from Apple earlier this week. Both cut/paste and drag and drop worked before the Security Update, but now both features only work from Windows to Mac but not vice versa. I have restarted Windows, reinstalled parallels Tools, relaunched Parallels, and restarted the Mac - all multiple times - still doesn't work.

9. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Unfortunately, drag and drop in 5582+Tiger is a known issue and we are already investigating it in-house. If drag and drop function is critical for you, the only way to solve it for now - to downgrade to 5160. I'm awfully sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

10. rdean

rdean Member

Same issue

Alicia,

Could you post when this is fixed, or can we just assume that it will be in the next build.

Thanks,
    Richard

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  11. drudas99

drudas99 Bit poster

Same here, it's no longer working for me.

Parallels: Build 5160
    Mac OSX Tiger: 10.4.11

12. jjjjww6

jjjjww6 Bit poster

I have same system (Parallels: Build 5160 Mac OSX Tiger: 10.4.11 ) with the same issues, can I get an email when this is fixed?

13. rbh

rbh Member

14. cathyh

cathyh Bit poster

Build 5160

It looks like Build 5160 is not working for a lot of people with Mac OS X 10.4.11, and neither drag and drop nor copy/paste are working. Would going back to an earlier version help? Has anyone found a temporary fix for this?

15. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello all,

that drag-and-drop issue is already tested in-house and fixed in our next build which is going to be released soon. The problem was caused by the latest Mac OS security updates.

Best regards,
    Alicia.