which VM do i select upon startup?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Darth Wohl, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Darth Wohl

Darth Wohl Bit poster

When i launch parallels, I have 2 options to launch windows xp. One option says Windows XP, and the other says MY Boot Camp. I am running windows xp on my mbp under bootcamp. When i select either option, everything seems to work fine.

Do I need to manually delete one of the options? Should they both be there? Should i use one option instead of the other?

Thanks so much!!

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Use the option that boots you into the disk you want.

Do a search for '.pvs' (without the quotes, naturally), and see how many results it comes up with. If you have multiple .pvs files, it appears that somehow multiple configurations got made, check to see if they are all pointing to your BootCamp partition or if there is a stealthy .hdd file hanging around somewhere.

3. Darth Wohl

Darth Wohl Bit poster

two results come back. Mybootcamp.pvs and microsoft windows xp.pvs, but both say they are 4 kb, so they are obviously pointing someone, but where?

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

See if they are both pointing to the same location, if so, delete one of them, deleting the .pvs files causes zero data loss from the vm.