Ctrl+Click description

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tacit_one, May 19, 2006.

1. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Recent build of Parallels Desktop changed the behaviour of ctrl+click combination.

For your guest operating system ctrl+click will be just ctrl+click, - that will let you use this combination in Photoshop to drag layers or in Linux Konqueror to make multiple file selection.

That should not worry you at all if you have 2-buttoned mouse as since now you can use your mouse and keyboard just like in the real version of Windows.

If your mouse has just 1 button, you will need the way to simulate right click in your guest system - it's ctrl+shift+click combination.

PS. You can find the same kind of behaviour in BootCamp'ed Windows installation (without ctrl+shift+click simulation)

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
  2. skywalker

skywalker Junior Member

tricky ! thanks for the tip.
    i was wondering and just about to write a thread. ;-)

3. sunnfun

sunnfun Junior Member

Can you please make this behaviour optional? This is driving me crazy! I'm using ctrl-click for a context menu in Mac OS X and like to use the same key for a context menu in Windows...

I know there's the plethora of Photoshop Users (not) that need this changed but come on, compare how many users are just using plain windows and have to use two different key combinations for a context menu now vs. the few who need to change layers or whatever crazy key combination they need to access whit ctrl-click.

So, please make this an option in Preferences/Hotkeys or something like that.

4. wesley

wesley Pro

This function is sorely needed even when using simple file management with Explorer. ctrl-click has a very important function in Windows paradigm, not just Photoshop. That's why lots of the Parallels users have rapped about 'letting go' of this ctrl-click = context-menu tie-in so Windows could be used like.. well, Windows without any key reassignments. In Windows context, menu is not brought up by a key combo - you either right-click or press the context menu key on the keyboard.

Having said that, yes, there SHOULD be an option to have the user control the behaviour, but by default it should be that ctrl-click obeys the Windows' way, not Mac's.

5. chrisp

chrisp Member

This should be configurable and able to be turned off. Even ctrl-shift click has a use in Windows when selecting items from a list.

6. mcg

mcg Hunter

Ah, good point---well, once Apple gets us a firmware/software update to enable this nifty "two-finger right click" feature found in the newest laptops, we're going to be all set.

7. netdog

netdog Hunter

I agree. If you would make this switch optional, it would be great!

8. dolchan

dolchan Bit poster

Ctrl-shift-click on MS Word

Has anyone tried Ctrl-Shift-Click (supposedly right-mouse click) in MS Word (2003) in WinXP within Parallels (RC)? I see very strange behaviors. It works correctly in other applications even in Excel, but not in Word.

9. Jay Levitt

Jay Levitt Member

So now how do we simulate a Ctrl-Shift-click, which is -also- used as a shortcut by many applications, including Photoshop again?

10. In full screen mode, if I accidentally do a CTR Click without the shift, it seems to be dropping me back to windowed mode. Is there a way to keep this from happening if we need to keep this new behavior?

11. Just found the solution to my problem - in preferences, hot key, I just am changing my full screen key selection.

12. skrodahl

skrodahl Junior Member

MacBook (Pro) two finger right-click.

Reading this review of the MacBook, I learned that you can tap two fingers on the track pad (or holding two fingers and clicking) to right-click.

According to the article this only works on the new 13,3" MacBook, and the 17" MacBook Pro. You need to activate it in System Preferences. Tried it in PW, and it works!

13. dirk@hohndel.org

dirk@hohndel.org Member

I hope they add this to the 15"MBP as well (this is a driver feature, not a hardware feature, as the 15" also supports the two finger scroll - which means it can detect two finger gestures).

/D

14. snit

snit Member

I was a lot happier with the old behavior. An option would be nice.

15. rbushway

rbushway Bit poster

I totally agree - this needs to be an option - I use Ctrl Click in the mac and I've come to rely on Ctrl Click in Windows. Having to go back to Ctrl Shift Click is a bit cumbersome.

It should be an option given that you remapped the feature.

16. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It will be an option in RC2.

17. dweebert

dweebert Member

I got used to the previous behaviour, and it worked great in conjunction with using remapkeys to change the command key to a control key on the Windows side to allow control-click over there. Given a choice between "Control" and "Control Shift", I would much prefer the former.

Is it possible to hijack the function key for this purpose? Because the function key by itself has no meaning on the Windows side, you don't have to worry about the fact that the key sends a "key down" event before the eventual click that turns into a right click. (Did that make any sense?)

While I'm at it, can you change the hotkeys to allow the command key? I'd love to use Command-Enter instead of Alt-Enter to enter/leave fullscreen.

18. ppayne

ppayne Member

Yes, good

Yes, thanks for changing this to be more standard. It was frustrating to have to change my behaiviour in Parallels compared with my other PC. Works great (I am using a mouse anyway so I don't notice any difference control wise)

19. zyprexa

zyprexa Junior Member

old behaviour better

the old behaviour was better

ctrl-click = right-click

i think shift-ctrl-click = ctrl+click would be better.

20. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

MBP mouse

I have a 15" MBP and the two-finger mouse actions are available and very nice to have. Since I didn't know about them until I read this thread I have to presume they were part of some update I'd run or else it is standard for my system's born-on date: XX86115KXXXX.

dkp