iMac intel problems with getting XP to see HP all in one printer (PSC2110)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mikeasmel, Dec 24, 2007.

1. mikeasmel

mikeasmel Bit poster

I have an iMac running OS 10.4.10 and installed a HP PSC 2110 all in one printer on the mac side with no problem - prints fine.

However, when I install the printer on the Windows XP side using Parallels, the computer doesn't "see" the usb device and therefore can't print on it.

Any ideas how to get it to work on the Windows side?

2. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

I had the same problem with my Brother MFC4800. Solution:

Enter your VM

Make sure your USB connectivity is ON.

Go to http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/windows/bonjourforwindows.html

Download Bonjour for Windows and install in your XP environment as directed

Configure Bonjour so that it finds your HP.

3. mikeasmel

mikeasmel Bit poster

bounjour

Thanks for this advice. however, what do you mean to make "my USB Connectivity is on"? I hope this helps and will let you know how it goes.

4. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

At the bottom right corner of your VM screen there will or should be a USB icon. When configuring your VM make sure USB is set to autoconnect on.

5. mikeasmel

mikeasmel Bit poster

What happens if I don't see the USB icon? Also, where do check to see if I have configured VM to USB autoconnect and correct it if it is not done?

6. mikeasmel

mikeasmel Bit poster

All in one and Bonjour

So, I figured out how to turn on USB Autoconnect in the Parallels set up window, but I still don't see USB devices on the XP / Parallels side. Also, when I run the setup wizard on Bonjour, I don't see any devices connected even though the HP All in One is actually plugged in. Help!

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Mikeasmel, please check what are your Parallel Port Options in the Virtual Machine Configuration Editor which you can open when the VM is on but the Guest OS is not running.
    To open the Parallel Port Options tab choose Parallel 1 from the list on the left side of the Configuration window.

On this tab there are three options that should be checked: Enabled, Connect at startup, Use printer.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. mikeasmel

mikeasmel Bit poster

Ok, so I got the USB set up, but now when I go to the Windows side of Parallels and install my HP drivers and plug in the HP all in one, my Windows system crashes, and then restarts and then crashes (blue screen of death) and then restarts, etc. until I unplug the printer and uninstall the HP drivers. Any ideas how to handle this?

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Mike, for Parallel Port you should only use HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS which is generic driver that's being used for printing from the Virtual Machine to any Mac OS compatible printer. Do not install other drivers.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. mikeasmel

mikeasmel Bit poster

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

You don't need to install Bonjour. After adding printer in VM Configuration you'll see HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS in Control Panel - Printers and Faxes. Just use it. Documents will be sent to the printer set as default on your Mac.

Have a look at this article to make sure you've gone through all the steps needed to install the printing driver in VM.

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. mikeasmel

mikeasmel Bit poster

Getting two icons.

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Mike,

Could you please give more details?

Best regards,
    Xenos