Cannot Transport from older Parallels *.hdd file

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by RudyH, Aug 3, 2007.

1. RudyH

RudyH Bit poster

I have been using Parallels since it first came out and have finally reached a point where I cannot make my Virtual HD any larger. I've tried everything, including the guides on this forum. As a last resort I decided to create a new Virtual HD and tried using Transporter to move all my custom settings from the previous *.hdd into the new one.

This is not working; I am getting an error that is something along the lines of "there is no operating system, or it is not bootable."

There is certainly an OS, and it is certainly bootable - I fired it up and it works just fine. Why is Transporter not working? I have a lot of custom network and proxy settings that were a terrible pain to set up (I am not the LAN admin and work on a huge network) and I would prefer to migrate these settings from the old *.hdd to the new one.

I have attached the log files. If you need additional information let me know.

Attached Files:

2. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

Hello,

What size is your .hdd file??

You cant use transporter to migrate .hdd file. But you can try to use Image Tool to expand your old .hdd

Also start Windows. Go to Start menu - Run . Type "chkdsk" to check your disk.

3. RudyH

RudyH Bit poster

What size is your .hdd file??

The file itself is 10.2 GB, but in Windows the HD is approx. 7 GB.

You cant use transporter to migrate .hdd file. But you can try to use Image Tool to expand your old .hdd

I have used the Image Tool to expand the drive to its maximum capacity, 128000 MB. It will not expand the disk any further. This does not have any effect on the HD when I run windows - the drive is still 7GB and does not increase in size.

Also start Windows. Go to Start menu - Run . Type "chkdsk" to check your disk.

I have done this and have approx 30 GB of Unallocated Space. I cannot add this to my existing HD, however - I can only make it into a new partition which does not help me. I need to make the original bootable HD (the C: drive) bigger because I need to run software and use Windoes IIS and Indexing services. Having another partitioned drive will not help my problem - there is not enough room on the original HD to run the software I need (Visual Studio Team Suite, MSDN Library, SQL Server, etc) so I need to be able to increase the size of that partition.

Also, I have had Parallels since it first launched and the new Mac Pro quad processor models shipped. The *.hdd image was created using one of the first build versions of the Parallels software - would this have any effect on my too-small drive size?

Thanks,
    R

4. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

The space you've added is recognized by the guest OS as unpartitioned.
    To be able to use it, you should create a new partition from the space added or enlarge one of the partitions you already have.
    To manage the size of an already existing partition you can use third-party utilities (such as Partition Magic, Acronis Disk Director or Gnome Partition Editor).

5. bidione

bidione Member

Can I use Acronis Disk Director to reduce the size of my virtual Windows HD under Parallels? I have set the size of the virtual Windows HD to 125GB when I first installed Parallels - thought I would do most of my work in Windows and now realize that I would like to do/save more under Mac but do have too little space left on my Mac HD (only 50GB for Mac and 125GB for Windows HD).

Is there any other way to reduce the size of the virtual Windows HD? Also, I seem to have the Windows HD set to a fixed size rather than expanding when making the initial Parallels setup. As of today, I don't think that was smart at all and would rather want to change this, too.