Parallels Giving OS X Priority Over XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Greensauce, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Greensauce

Greensauce Member

After a recent update to Parallels (not the newest build, the last release in November). It seems that the Mac windows are giving priority over any XP windows. For example I have it set that if I click a link in Outlook it will open in OS X, the annoying thing is that I can't click back into Outlook, I can see it in the background but for some reason every OSX window, be it a browser, finder, some random app, I have to close or minimize the OSX windows to get to the XP windows. This has never happened before and though its not a large issue, it is very annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please tell me what version of Mac OS do you have and what build of Parallels ('Parallels Desktop' in menubar -> 'About Parallels Desktop').
    Did you try to re-install Parallels Tools?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. Greensauce

Greensauce Member

The computer is a MBP 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with 3 GB RAM and is running Mac OS X 10.4.11. Parallels version is build 5160. I am updating now but I am not sure if that will fix problem. I uninstalled Parallels tools by going to Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and then I manually installed it again, still same problem in Cohearance.

The biggest issue for me is with my e-mail, I use Outlook 07 and if someone sends me a link I have it open in OS X but if I wanted to go back and read another mail message I have to either close the browser or minimize it. It is the same for Finder or any app like I said. If I clicked on outlook or the taskbar I can see it switch from "Firefox" or "Finder" to "Parallels Desktop" but the OS X finder/browser windows are still on top.

Any other suggestions?

4. Greensauce

Greensauce Member

After installing build 5582 this is no longer an issue. Thank you.

EDIT: It was working fine then the second after I posted this I tried it and same issue happened. I did notice that if I click on the top bar of Outlook and move it up or down and see the green circle with a white plus symbol in the middle it will pull that window to the front. I don't know why this is acting so weird.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  5. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

does this issue appear when you use Coherence?
    If so, please go to 'Configuration Editor' of your VM and provide me with a screenshot of 'Coherence' tab.
    Did you re-install Parallels Tools after update?
    Do you have other VMs?

Best regards,
    Stacey

6. Greensauce

Greensauce Member

Yes it is when I am useing cohearance and there are both XP and OS X windows open. Attached is the picture (I believe of the configuation editor). After the update I did install Parallels Tools again (it automatically started up and ran). This is the only VM I am useing and its not a Boot Camp partition either, it was created by Parallels.

direct link to uploaded image
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/Xander10/parallels.png

Config Editor image
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/Xander10/Picture1.png

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  7. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to disable 'Bring notification windows to front'. You can find it on the second screenshot of yours.

Best regards,
    Stacey