Copy-Paste Suddenly doesn't Work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RCBOOKS, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

There are no recommended workarounds currently. Parallels developers are working hard to make an update fixing the issue. The issue does not appear under Leopard.

Best regards,
    Xenos

2. cybertubby

cybertubby Member

Thanks so much for your struggles to help us.
    We wish you enough holiday to refresh your soul.

To clarify your last message:
    Have you attempted to replicate Biggdaddyborder's suggestion in message #58
    on updating (deleting /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework etc),
    and did it fail for you?

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear Cybertubby,

Biggdaddyborder's suggestion is working but it is not very user-friendly so we would not recommend it. However it is up to you to decide weather to try it or not.

I can also add that according to our investigations the last Mac OS security update made some internal Mac OS functions working improperly. And there is a number of Parallels features depending on these functions.

The work on fixing the copy-paste issue is going on.

Have a nice holiday!

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. espostor

espostor Bit poster

Happy holidays to you, Xenos, and to everyone at Parallels. I'm sure everyone appreciates the updates you've sent (I certainly do!), particularly during what I would assume is part of your vacation. Do keep us posted as to the engineers' progress.

5. coyr

coyr Bit poster

I hope this issue has a fast solution

I was reading all the topic waiting the answer... okey, I hope this issue has a fast solution. :)

6. mweholt

mweholt Bit poster

I wouldn't actually advise taking Bigdaddyborder's suggestion. I tried it this morning and my MacBook is wrecked.

I downloaded the 10.4.11 Combo update. Clicked on the .dmg so that the .pkg would be all ready to go. I deleted CoreFoundation.framework, then went to click on the update's .pkg. Nothing happened. Clicked again. Nothing. Tried clicking on other apps. Any app. Nothing happened. No apps would run any more. The machine is a lifeless zombie.

At the moment, I'm having to reinstall from the disk that came with my machine (which will make me go back to 10.3 from 10.4.11). Fortunately my machine backs up overnight so, with luck, I should be able to get back to where I was. If not, I have an appointment with the Genius Bar at my local Apple store for later this afternoon.

I don't know why Bigdaddyborder's solution did not work for me. Of course one tries these sorts of things at one's own risk so the fault is mine, not Bigdaddyborder's. I only mention it as a warning to others who might want to try BDB's solution. If you intend to go ahead, you should be ready to reconstruct your machine, and be prepared to take responsibility for your decision, should things go wrong.

7. rackerby

rackerby Junior Member

That makes sense since it is lacking CoreFoundation.framework. If you can start it in target disk mode, connect to it from a second machine, put CoreFoundation.framework back on, then repair permissions, it should come back to life.
    _

8. Bigdaddyborder

Bigdaddyborder Bit poster

If you can start it in target disk mode and connect to another Machine run the updater then it will then re-install the Core foundation update, and get you up and running again. I am sorry it didn't work for you.

9. mweholt

mweholt Bit poster

I don't have a second Intel machine, but I managed to get the little bugger back (mostly) by using the Install disk that came with the machine. There's tweaking that needs to be done, but it's mostly back.

10. mweholt

mweholt Bit poster

L O L!

The punchline to this joke is that after all I just went through, copying/pasting from Mac to W2K is now working. Sheesh...

Uh... I don't think I would recommend using my method to fix the problem, though. :)

11. rackerby

rackerby Junior Member

Sure. You now have an older version of CoreFoundation.framework.
    _

12. mweholt

mweholt Bit poster

Do I have an older version of CoreFoundation.framework?

Immediately after I reinstalled from my original disk, I performed the security updates. My machine reports 10.4.11 and the copy/paste works fine.

What's the difference between the 10.4.11 I have now (wherein copy/paste works) and what I had before (wherein copy/paste did not work)? Where did the bum CoreFoundation.framework come from, and how come I don't have it now, after I updated to 10.4.11? Where did the not-bum CoreFoundation.framework come from?

13. rackerby

rackerby Junior Member

Remember that the problem isn't with 10.4.11... it's with Security Update 2007-009. If you've got that installed then it is a mystery. Or, at least more info for the Parallels engineers.
    _

14. jbuechel

jbuechel Junior Member

I am having the same issues with copy-paste and my version of Vista decided it needed authorization again yesterday. I got the "already in use" dialog box and had to call Microsoft to re-validate Vista. I'm not sure since I recently updated Tiger, Vista and Parallels which is the problem... or if they are related in any way.

15. Kraken

Kraken Member

I need to learn not to automatically install apple updates until after I've checked them out with some other people. I got this today and it's really making my work a pain trying to copy from Entourage into WinXP. Glad it's a known issue, though, and I'm glad to know it's being worked on.

OH, and yes, I have 5582 and Tiger 10.4.11, Mac Pro tower.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  16. cybertubby

cybertubby Member

Apple shipped security update 2007-009 v.1.1 today.
    Anybody try this yet? Kraken, did you install 1.0 or 1.1?

17. rackerby

rackerby Junior Member

This was actually released on the 21st. It was discussed earlier in this thread. It does not fix the copy/paste problem.
    _

18. mavakil

mavakil Member

I haven't upgraded to Leopard yet...why haven't you?

I'm so relieved to find this thread and know this is a common issue. I thought it was some new software I installed that caused it.

My specs are:
    Intel Macbook
    OS X 10.4.11
    Build: 5582

I was also fairly pleased to learn that I'm not the only one who's not upgraded to Leopard yet. My main reason for not doing so is that I was not totally confident how will Parallels would function in Leopard. Ironically learning from this thread Parallels may be working better. So, wanting to take a complete hard-disk backup first, I'm waiting for SuperDuper to be ready for Leopard first before i take the plunge.

Would be keen to hear your reasons, why you haven't upgraded yet.

19. GlennG

GlennG Member

Pretty much the same as yours, plus:

He who installs first finds all the problems. Given that I use my Mac as a tool, I'm not that bothered about a better screwdriver, especially if I discover that screwdriver doesn't work as well as it's supposed to.

I would love to think that all things Mac "Just Work". It's plainly obvious that with Leopard this is definitely not the case. Given that Parallels had to release a version just for Leopard, ditto most other manufacturers, and that there's a ton of bugs being reported such as issues with networking and time machine, I'll just wait.

Waiting isn't too much of a problem. Leopard has a bunch of useful features, all of which are new, and none of which I have in Tiger. Therefore I don't miss what I don't have. It's like missing this third arm I would like to have attached to my chest -- it would be great to drink a cup of coffee whilst still typing; but I've got along just fine up to now by stopping typing and drinking.

Then there's flipping the bird at Apple's marketing machine. " . . I . . . can . . . resist . ."

20. digby

digby Bit poster

I'm having just the same problem. And also anything to do with Java doesn't work. So I can't use Windows Update nor the Daily Telegraph Crossword (amusingly, when accessing the crossword from OS X I'm told "The online version of the Crossword is currently unavailable to Apple Macintosh users. The Apple Macintosh version is currently under development." (even though it's worked fine at least since Jaguar).

The Java problem appeared at exactly the same time as the copy/paste problem, so I assume it's also caused by the latest security update. A related cause?