Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GummyDancer, Dec 8, 2007.

1. GummyDancer

GummyDancer Bit poster

Hi,

In Windows XP under Parallels Desktop, I cannot access to Windows Update. The same problem occured when I was using Windows Vista.

I can go to the Windows Update website in Safari, but not Internet Explorer in Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

What error message are you getting?

3. GummyDancer

GummyDancer Bit poster

I want to install Live Messenger and it pops up a message when i launch setup saying that I must update Windows. When i click OK, I'm redirected to an IE window, and it tries to load the Windows Update page. For about a minute, the webpage not found error pops up. It seems to me I can't go to websites Microsoft related..... why is that? =(

4. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

Not sure but it sounds more like a Microsoft issue with your VM OS install. Hae you trie to reinstall your VM OS again? Have you searched this forum for others with the similar issue? I did not see any myself. Sorry I couldn't help but maybe others will chime in.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  5. friedom2b

friedom2b Bit poster

I have a Macbook with Leopard 10.5.1 installed. I'm running Parallels 3.0 build 5582 with XP Professional SP2. I had a problem where I couldn't access Windows Updates either. I went to www.dslreports.com and ran Dr TCPIP which modifies the TCP/IP stack. After rebooting,Windows Update started working.

6. Deb D

Deb D Bit poster

5582 Build crashed Windows Update

After installing Build 5582, I was not able to use Windows Update. Error message was 0x80072EFD.

I followed microsoft's advice to resolve, but nothing worked. I just reinstalled Build 5160. Now, Windows Update works fine, with no other adjustments. My guess is that there's a bug in 5582 for Tiger running Windows XP on MBP.

I hope parallels can fix this, as I like the other bug fixes included with Build 5582.

Deb D

7. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Same problem here after upgrading to 5582

Nor does it allow me to upgrade WMP9

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Please try setting Bridged Ethernet in VM's Configuration Editor to install the updates.

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Thanks Xenos. That works. Should I be running Parallels in bridged mode all the time then?

10. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Is it a Parallels bug that Windows update does not work in shared mode?

11. Deb D

Deb D Bit poster

When I switch to Bridged Ethernet in Build 5160, I lose my internet connection - can't get to IE or Windows Update, even though I can get to Safari via the Mac. This means that my laptop is connected to the internet, just not accessible via Build 5160 when I use Bridged Ethernet.

Xenos, is this what you would expect to happen? I hesitate to keep switching between Build 5160 and Build 5582 unless you tell me that this is what we should expect - that Build 5160 uses Shared Network and Build 5582 uses Bridge Ethernet.

I'm using Tiger 10.4.11, XP, MBP. Thanks!

12. Deb D

Deb D Bit poster

Despite not getting a response from Parallels . . . I did the following without positive results:
    1. Switched from Shared Network to Bridged Ethernet.
    2. Installed Build 5582 and Parallel Tools.
    3. Same Problem - cannot access Internet, IE and Windows Update.

4. Switched back to Shared Network.
    5. Reinstalled Build 5160 and Parallel Tools.
    6. Able to access Internet, IE and Windows Update.

What am I doing wrong? I would like to be able to upgrade to Build 5582. I'm running Tiger 10.4.11 and Windows XP on MBP.

Help!!! Thanks.

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Pagemakers, you don't have to run Bridged Ethernet all the time and it is not Parallels bug that you can't load Windows updates in Shared Network mode. Updating issue could probably be caused by specifics of updating process: some request could have been sent to VM before sending the updates and it could not be transported by NAT in Shared Networking mode.

Deb D, your Bridged connection problem is probably caused by authorization limits. You should ask your Internet provider to give you access to network through VM.

Best regards,
    Xenos

14. Deb D

Deb D Bit poster

Appears to me like there's a bug in Parallels Build 5582. I can get Build 5160 to do Windows Update, but not Build 5582. Shared Network allows me to get onto the Internet, but Bridged Ethernet does not. If there was a change in Build 5582 that requires users to make changes, then Parallels should do a better job explaining the steps.

As you may have figured out already, I'm not a techie. I didn't think one needed to be a techie to use Parallels. However, I'm having second thoughts.

Is anyone else having a problem connecting to Windows Update after installing Build 5582 for Windows XP, Tiger 10.4.11, MBP?

Please offer some real help and don't just refer me to my Internet provider. All they care about is that I can get a connection and I can. I just can't get Windows Update to work with Build 5582. That's not an Internet provider issue. Thanks!

15. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Xenos, Thanks for your reply. I am running Parallels on a brand new MacBook. Before 5582 the update worked and now it does not. How can that not be a bug within Parallels? I have done nothing myself to cause the updates to fail.

It is not only Windows Update that fails but also Media Player will not update unless you are in bridged mode.

Deb, I am also using XP Windows Update no longer works for me.

16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Deb D and Pagemakers,

It is possible that the last Apple update could have broken something in PD build 5582. We are investigating the issue.

Deb D, if your Internet provider could not help you, then authorization is not the cause of the problem. Please provide me with some additional information for we could analyze the issue in details.

1. What network connection type are you using on Mac side (Wireless, Ethernet, Modem)?
    2. Please run in Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) ifconfig command and send me the output;
    3. Please send me the screenshot of Command window with ipconfig /all command from Windows side (press windows(apple) key + R and type cmd);
    4. Could you give me the full information on your antivirus protection?
    5. I'd also like to get the output of the command kextstat |grep parallels in Terminal (Aplpications -> Utilities);
    6. Could I have the screenshot of Network Status? Go to Mac -> System Preferences -> Network, set "Automatic" Location, Show: Network Status; make a screenshot;
    7. I'd appreciate you sending me the output of the following commands: Open Terminal on the Mac side and run ping 10.211.55.2, then ping 10.211.55.3 and ping 10.211.55.4; launch Windows and open Start menu, choose Run, type CMD, press Enter; in the CMD window run the commands listed above. Please note that there is a space between ping and 10.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
    Xenos

17. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

Bridged fixed it

I had the same problem, but switching to Bridged networking fixed it. This is was not the care previously when I used shared networking and the updates worked fine.

Do I always need bridged networking now to get my updates?

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Boatguy,

Glad to know the issue is fixed for you.

I don't know if you will always need Bridged mode to update as this depends on Windows updates.

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. BDS

BDS Bit poster

I had the same problem as well with running Windows Update in Shared Network mode. Changing to Bridged Network mode solved this problem, and also solved a problem in using Yahoo beta mail to send outbound mail. In Shared Network mode, Yahoo beta mail could not complete the send operation.

Perhaps the Parallels Team can determine whether other factors are at work here that should be addressed.

Thanks.

20. BDS

BDS Bit poster

Further to my last comment, my reading of Parallels documentation suggests that in Shared Network mode the VM shares the iMac's IP address, whereas in Bridged Network mode the VM running Windows has a separate IP address. While obviously there can be more safety in running the VM in Shared Network mode as an invisible machine behind the iMac's IP address, it is not surprising that security-conscious Microsoft would want its update server to have tighter coupling with the Windows client computer being updated.

It would seem to me that, for greatest compatibility, Parallels should therefore normally recommend that the VM be configured to run in Bridged Network mode. The main caveat to this advice is that the VM should also be loaded with good antivirus software, because with a real IP address the VM is potentially more vulnerable.

Regards,

BDS