spaces + coherence (Build 5582)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tonycarreon, Dec 21, 2007.

1. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

i just launched parallels in coherence mode and noticed a few things that struck me as odd.

1. my task bar is ever present. even when i select "hide windows taskbar" from the applications menu (shouldn't that be in the view menu?) it does not hide. it only changes the menu item to "show windows taskbar."

2. when i switch spaces, say between space 1 and space 2, the taskbar stays on the screen.

3. when i open parallels in space 1, open an application (say IE) it launches in space 1. then if i switch to space 2 and open an application (say windows explorer) that application is in space 2. it gets very confusing as to which space i am in since now windows appears in every space and applications can be launched in any space. however, i can not drag an application to another space like i can with an os x application.

suggestions?

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

did you try to re-install Parallels Tools?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

reinstalled parallels tools. provided no change other than now my taskbar automatically relocates to the top of the screen when i go to coherence mode, even though "relocate automatically" is unchecked for Windows Taskbar.

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please do the following:
    1. Right-click on the Windows Taskbar and uncheck 'Lock the Taskbar'.
    2. Left-click on the Windows Taskbar and do not release it.
    3. Move the Taskbar to the bottom of the screen and release the mouse.
    4. Right-click on the Windows Taskbar and check 'Lock the Taskbar'.

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

i can move the task bar, that's not a problem. but the original problem remains in that the taskbar remains on screen even when switching spaces and i am able to open applications from windows on different spaces. i did not know if this was the default behaviour or not. and hide taskbar does not work.

6. Berzerker

Berzerker Bit poster

I have the same problem with Spaces, and the only solution I've found so far is to Right Click the Taskbar > Properties > Uncheck "Keep taskbar on top of other Windows"

A real fix for this is appriciated.

7. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

thanks berzerker. that did manage to get it off of every spaces screen. i remember before this update for leopard it wasn't a problem. i wonder why it popped up. also keeping parallels confined to one space kept other windows apps from popping up across different spaces.

2nd a "real fix."

8. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

thank you for your feedback. I have discussed this issue with developers and they have told me that this behavior is a feature.
    But I have told them about your wishes.

Best regards,
    Stacey

9. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

I run Windows in "full screen" mode, and assign it to a specific space. This keeps it within its "space", no taskbars in other spaces. However, even when it is assigned, if I select coherence, then the task bar is in every space. This behavior is not consistent with other applications which stay within their space and do not show up when I run Expose, I only see the windows that are in the space for which I am running Expose.

Parallels should behave like other Mac apps, gotta call it a bug, not a "feature".

10. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

Running in full screen mode, in an assigned space, I have essentially a windows machine in that space. Unfortunately in this configuration Expose treats Parallels as a single window. What would be very cool is to have Expose work when in full screen mode in an assigned space. Expose would split out all the XP windows and let us select.

This is completely wishful thinking!

11. vortex

vortex Bit poster

Hallo,

I have nearly the same Bug:

In coherence Mode the Windows-Taskbar is on every Space.
    A new Application opens in the Space I assigned to Parallels. This feature makes no sense if a Space is assigend.
    If I don't assign a Space I can have Windows-windows on different Spaces (I can understand this feature).

It would be great if the taskbar is visible on every space ist no space ist assigend. Otherwise it should only be visible on the assigned space.

An othe possibility could be an option.

Tank You

12. jurismorte

jurismorte Bit poster

Taskbar moving on its own to the top of the screen

I'm having the problem that one other user mentioned where the taskbar magically moves itself to the top of my screen. I do have Space enabled and am using Coherence. This only seems to happen after I lock my screen (using the locking feature available through Keychain Access) and then unlocking it. I am able to unlock the taskbar and move it back to the bottom. But, the next time I lock and unlock my screen, the taskbar is back at the top of the screen.

Does anyone have a solution for this, please? It just started midday yesterday and I don't believe I made any change other than running a Windows update the day before.

Thanks!!

jurismorte

13. vortex

vortex Bit poster

Is there going to be any progress in the near future?

Whould be great! It worked so great before he update...

14. dimavs

dimavs Bit poster

Yeah, I would like to get this feature too.

15. JochemD

JochemD Bit poster

Is there any news on this feature/bug?