Parallels Desktop 19.3.0 is released!

Discussion in 'Product updates and feedback' started by Mikhail Ushakov, Mar 7, 2024.

1. ThorstenR5

ThorstenR5 Bit poster

Hi all, just updated to 19.3.0 and all files on the desktop of the VM are gone. Just showing the trash bin and "Mac Files". I cannot open any file because it says it cant find the file and drag'n drop does not work anymore. Cannot place any files on the VM desktop. Any kind of help would be appreciated.
    (Mac Studio, macOS 14.4)

2. brad-x

brad-x Junior Member

The other option available in VM Configuration -> Options -> Startup and Shutdown (which they don't seem to plan on removing) actually does this exact thing - though I agree, documenting a plist method for VM autostart would allow removal of the UI for it entirely. Still pretty nice to have tho

3. Macintosh Rescue

Macintosh Rescue Member

The option that is being taken out is: "Start Automatically: When Mac Starts" which means that the closest that a future UI (Parallels Desktop 20) will offer is: "When user logs in" and for server guests this is not ideal hence the need for the plist; the VM needs to boot non-interactively so 'before' user login. I'll have a go at the plist and post back with results. I've been a bit swamped with other things I need to do.

4. Macintosh Rescue

Macintosh Rescue Member

Here's an example parallels.autostart.plist that works for me allowing macOS to start a VM without needing to login.
    -----------------------
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC -//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd >
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>parallels.autostart</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
    <string>sudo</string>
    <string>-u</string>
    <string>andrewread</string>
    <string>/usr/local/bin/prlctl</string>
    <string>start</string>
    <string>macOS</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    -----------------------

This first sudo's to the user who has the Parallels VM registered so in my case "andrewread" and the guest I'm running is called "macOS" ; I previously had spaces in the virtual machines name "macOS 10.15.7" but I couldn't get that to work. If anybody knows more about these plist files than me I'd like to know what you would do different.

The thing is enabled with launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/parallels.autostart.plist

If you have more than one guest needing auto started you should be able to just duplicate the plist and re-label is as something like parallels.autostart1.plist or something more meaningful.

It does seem that at least we have a working solution now going forward.

5. Macintosh Rescue

Macintosh Rescue Member

New deprecated feature to workaround:
    • Network boot for macOS virtual machines : an iso available from : https://github.com/windli2018/virtualbox-efi-netboot will do the job. It's for VirtualBox but I've tried it in Parallels Desktop 19.3 and it does initiate a macOS NetBoot just fine. All you do is attach the iso as a CD/DVD and change the Boot Order to start your VM with CD/DVD and the boot loader on the iso will attempt to NetBoot the virtual machine.
    Again perhaps this could go into a Knowledge Base article to assist Parallels Desktop customers transition from the deprecated features.

6. MERMIGKISS

MERMIGKISS Bit poster

Hi,
    I use Relux over Parallels 19.3.0 on my Mac M1 and since the last 30 days I Had a problem with running the application.
    When i've been asked for the update of the Relux and i confirmed for the version 2024.1.10, I could not run the new version.
    I had to uninstall the program from my hard disk and reinstall the 2023.1.11.0 Relux version. This version can run, but i cannot see the pointer of my mouse in the planning area
    My mouse pointer is visible only in the menu area of the Relux program .

7. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    We have created a support case and send you and sent you an email with further steps to troubleshoot this issue.
    Thank you.

8. ChristianH51

ChristianH51

I can't imagine why there is a need to get rid of starting a VM when mac starts. Is it really that hard to continue this support? I use it.

9. rwessel

rwessel Bit poster

I see there's already mention of a change in the latest version, but I need to clarify a point before updating:
    I am currently able to use a 10.6 (Snow Leopard) VM using Parallels 19.2.1 (54832) on MacOS 14.2.1 with an Intel-based Mac. If I update, does change mean that:
    1) The 10.6 VM will cease to work, or;
    2) You no longer provide support if I run into any issue running a 10.6 VM (but it might still work)?

10. Macintosh Rescue

Macintosh Rescue Member

Quoting my own post unfortunately to say that there is a problem with my autostart plist; If I login to the hosts desktop and interact with Parallels the auto started guest seems to suspend when I logout. I can get it back up again by ssh'ing into the host then running the prlctl command line but this is not good for keeping server guests up.

The solution could be to make a new user account on the Mac and register the vm to that user and change the sudo options in the plist ; that user would never login to a desktop. I think this is a recent macOS locking down situation rather than a fault with Parallels. There are drawbacks with the separate user option so I think its suffice to say that on a host with macOS guest services a user needs to be left logged in which may not be ideal.

11. TablighatB

TablighatB Bit poster

Thank you for the feedback! The KB is available now.

12. BradS2

BradS2

I am having a serious issue with Coherence Mode. Coherence works well until I "View -> Exit Coherence".
    Not always, but sometimes the Windows 11 desktop goes blank, or the taskbar disappears.
    I can reproduce by having a Microsoft Word document open when I exit coherence.

Parallels 19..3.0
    Windows 11 (22000.2538)
    Microsoft Office Version 2403 (Build 17425.20176)
    macOS 14.4.1 Sonoma
    Apple M1 Pro silicon