Hide Icon for App Only Published for File Redirect

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by TechS2, Mar 19, 2024.

1. TechS2

TechS2 Bit poster

Hello, we have a particular file extension that opens a "launcher" which then passes it to the correct application. I published the launcher and confirmed that the file redirect works. However, we don't want users to see this program as a published app. In other words, all users need the ability to use the file extension associated to the published app but they should not be able to see or launch the published app itself. I hope that makes sense.

Is this possible?

2. jpc

jpc Pro

Afaik, all published apps are visible in the Parallels Client.

However, it is possible to have the Parallels Client itself always start minimized on Windows startup. All of the applications that should be visible to the user are then configured to show up as a shortcut on the desktop. The "launcher" published application would then be only visible if the users hunt for the Parallels Client icon in the notification area.

If that is not good enough, then I would suggest to file a feature suggestion on this forum:
    https://forum.parallels.com/forums/parallels-remote-application-server-feature-suggestions.767/

3. TechS2

TechS2 Bit poster

Thanks, jpc. Unfortunately, that's not quite what we're looking for. An example would be, we have users who don't have Adobe on their local machine. We want them to be able to double-click a .pdf file on their pc and have it open Adobe through Parallels. However, we DON'T want them to be able to see/launch Adobe as a standalone published app if they didn't first double-click a .pdf file. That's just an example and not our actual scenario so I know the use case isn't there, just trying to lay it out in an easy way. For now, we just published the app and put "DO NOT USE" in front of it but it would be nice to have it hidden completely so there's no confusion. I can go the route of entering a feature request since it seems that's not possible.