Display Artifacts From Launch/Quit Parallels?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Fireguy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

I am seeing huge solid color polygons on my display when opening Parallels when the CPU has other memory/graphics intensive programs open. It is more frequent on quiting Parallels. This has occurred with EVERY Parallels build since Leopard 10.5, NEVER before.

I have run every version of Parallels without problems for a year until now. I am on Leopard 10.5.1 with Parallels Build 5582, Windows XP, SP2.

I am running a Mac Pro, 4-core, 1-yr old with a 30" Cinema Display and the ATI X1900 graphics card. 6-GB of RAM. The Apple forum is full of graphics artifacts new issues with this card after Leopard. Yes, I am aware of the card overheat complaints and have cleaned the dust screen, which was plugged.

Based on this, I thought it was not Parallels, worked with Apple and they just replaced the ATI x1900 card. Reboot with new card, run Tech Tool, video test passes. launch iTunes, in a window, turn on visualizer. Launch Parallels (not even Windows yet) and immediately get massive solid color polygons on the screen. No other programs yet running. Quit Parallels, activate screen saver with a new full screen image. Back to regular desktop screen, artifacts disappear.

Re-launch Parallels and get graphics grief again.

Parallels Team - any thoughts or can I somehow error trap any of this for you?

2. osakans

osakans Bit poster

Same problem here

I have the exact same problem -- OS 10.5.1, Mac Pro, Radeon x1900. Happy to help if I can.

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Fireguy and Osakans,

Please check the state of "Enable DirectX Shaders (experimental)" on Video tab in Configuration Editor. You'd better disable this function.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. osakans

osakans Bit poster

DirectX Shaders is off

I finally had a chance to check, and "Enable DirectX Shaders (experimental)" was already turned off. Any other thoughts?

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Osakans,

Please try the steps proposed in this article. If this will not help, could you attach the screenshot of your display when having these huge solid color polygons?

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. Avanti

Avanti Bit poster

Graphic problem

Hi

just upgraded to the latest V3 5---- in V3 4--- Rhino V 3 worked fine when working with shaded or rendered mode.

All sorts of strange things are now happening. Turning of Open GL has done the trick although now I can only work in plain Wireframe mode.

Try turning of the Open GL in your programs an see if it helps

Planning to send in window shots when I can get my mail to work correctly.

Avanti

7. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

An update - Apple replaced my x1900 card and the problems are far less, but not gone. The Apple Mac Pro forum is full of complaints about the x1900 since Lepoard. I can try for a screen shot next time. It is also interesting that when it occurs when quitting Parallels, you can clear it by turning on the screen saver for a moment. An Apple Store genuis had me reload an ATi driver that was left out of Lepoard, but was in the driver library for Tiger, which did not help.
    I have already repaired permissions per the other article, and re-installed Parallels correctly, and the problem continues.

After a lot of reading and discussion with Apple support, I am betting this is more of a Lepoard/Ati driver issue that Parallels triggers ocassionally.

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Thank you for investigating the issue and providing Parallels engineers with important information. Waiting for the screenshots.

With best wishes for a Happy New Year,
    Xenos

9. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

Display Artifact Pictures

Here are the screen shots with the artifacts that occurred after shutting down windows, but before closing Parallels. Ignore the name of my VM file, I am an "old" user, I never changed the name of the file. I am on the latest Parallels build. Again current Machine is:
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 2.66
    6 Gb RAM. Ati x1900 video card to Apple 30" Cinema Display. Leopard latest release.

Attached Files:

10. brkirch

brkirch Pro

See this thread for more pictures of what the artifacts look like. I've found that these artifacts appear at random with the single window transition effects. My computer is a MacBook Pro with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, 10.5.1, and Parallels Desktop build 5582.

11. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

Interesting as I also have a new MacBook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo and the GeForce 8600M GT card, Parallels Build 5582 and Lepoard 10.5.1 and have NEVER seen the artifacts...
    Only on the MacPro...

12. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you very much for the screenshots.
    We are investigating the issue.

Could you please check, will the color polygons disappear if you move a window of any application over them?

Best regards,
    Xenos

13. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

I can try, but the occurance has really slowed down with the replacement video card from Apple. I do know that briefly turning on the screen saver will clear the artifact and that application preformance is never affected...

14. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

Yes, moving a window (finder or application) over the artifact will erase it. Just like the eraser tool in Photoshop. Weird...

15. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Fireguy,

We keep on investigating the issue. It looks like a bug of the current Qt version which is used in Parallels Desktop. We can not give you a workaround now, unfortunately.
    I will keep you informed.

Best regards,
    Xenos

16. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

Thanks, what is "Qt"??

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team