Multiple problems and erratic behavior - Leopard and 5582

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dddaaannn93, Dec 28, 2007.

1. dddaaannn93

dddaaannn93 Bit poster

Hi. I'm having a couple of serious problems with build 5582 on Leopard:

1) I continually get the

"Parallels Desktop is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Seems that drivers are inconsistent with the currently installed version of Parallels Desktop. To overcome this issue, reinstall Parallels Desktop and start it by selecting Finder->Applications->Parallels->Parallels Desktop."

error message. After each reinstallation, Parallels generally works just once. The second time I try to run it, I get the error message. Thus, I basically have to reinstall every time I want to use Parallels.

Sometimes, even reinstalling doesn't solve the problem. I have to reboot OS X and then reinstall Parallels. Also, generally, the behavior seems extremely erratic, and sometimes I get the CPU hogging behavior that others have mentioned.

2) Parallels takes over my CD-Rom drive, such that OS X does not see it. To use the CD-Rom in OS X, I need to shut down Parallels.

I've looked through this forums and tried various, more "complete" uninstallation and reinstallation procedures that have been mentioned. Nothing seems to have worked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Dan

PS I also wanted to echo what seems to be common sentiment recently in this forum. SWSoft, in the future please don't claim compatibility with a new operating system when there are this many bugs. People depend on these things to work, and these problems have seriously affected me. I certainly would have waited to upgrade to Leopard if I knew Parallels would have been this buggy (and I don't see how SWSoft could not have realized it was this buggy given how many different problems people are having). I really think you should temporarily remove the claims of compatibility on your website, until you get this sorted out.

2. Laser_jock

Laser_jock Member

Have you thought of looking at Leopard? What type of OSX upgrade did you do? Clean install, Archive and Install or simple upgrade? I've got 5582 and 10.5.1 and haven't had any problems (I did A&I).

-lj

3. dddaaannn93

dddaaannn93 Bit poster

Thanks for the reply LJ. I bought a new machine with Leopard on there and migrated my old files over. After the migration, I uninstalled Parallels and reinstalled it.

Any ideas of what I should be looking at? Shouldn't an application work on an OS regardless of how that OS got there?

Thanks again,

Dan

4. Laser_jock

Laser_jock Member

Ok.....

Just a thought....
    Are you running any third party 'inits'. It is possible that one of these might be causing problems. For example, I discovered that 'CommandDouble' would not allow my MBP to reboot.

5. dddaaannn93

dddaaannn93 Bit poster

Yeah, I think maybe iMousefix was causing the error messages - it had been behaving weird in Leopard. I uninstalled it, things seem to be working much better, and no error messages yet. (I still have the CD issue - but maybe thats the way it is supposed to be - though I was convinced I used to be able to access a CD in both XP and OSX simultaneously)

Thanks again!!

Dan

6. dddaaannn93

dddaaannn93 Bit poster

Well, that fix didn't last long.... very quickly back to the

"Parallels Desktop is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Seems that drivers are inconsistent with the currently installed version of Parallels Desktop. To overcome this issue, reinstall Parallels Desktop and start it by selecting Finder->Applications->Parallels->Parallels Desktop."

messages, and the need for continual reinstallation and rebooting.

Anyway, if anybody is having similar problems, I've "solved" it by going back to build 5160. It's slow, hogs CPU, and crashes sometime, but this is still better than the continual reinstalls.

Anybody know when a new build will be released that will come close to working correctly?

Thanks,

Dan