Parallels tools still not working with kernel 6.5

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by DanieleD5, Oct 12, 2023.

1. DanieleD5

DanieleD5 Bit poster

I still can't install parallels tools on kernel 6.5.
    I could use the random workaround patch that showed up a couple of weeks ago here in the forums, but why isn't this still patched?

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello!
    We've added support for Linux kernel 6.5 in Parallels Desktop 19.1.0 that should be released within a few hours. Please install the latest version of Parallels Desktop and check if the issue is addressed.

MatthewR20 likes this.
  3. Leonchik1976

Leonchik1976 Junior Member

Same here, unable to install parallels tools with kernel 6.5

4. UlrichG3

UlrichG3 Bit poster

Unfortunately same here with kernel 6.5. Installing Ubuntu 23.10 / Manic Minotaur is stuck with installation of Parallels tools. A bit frustrating after upgrading to PD 19 upfront. A heads-up would be appreciated.

5. JamesF23

JamesF23 Junior Member

The biggest problem is with writing the Linux drivers. It will take time for them to figure what what changes and breaks the existing tools. It would be great if the Parallels team would be able to keep up with the changes as they are delivered, but sadly it is rather more complicated than with Windows or macOS.

6. Leonchik1976

It takes months until update for PD released with support for newly release kernels

7. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    The main reason for the kernel panic is due to changes in the Linux Kernel in the following two commits:
    (1) https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/54d020692b342f7bd02d7f5795fb5c401caecfcc
    (2) https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/3e3271549670783be20e233a2b78a87a0b04c715

As a possible workaround, kindly proceed with the following:

First, boot Kali with the old kernel (6.4.0) and use the attached file to patch the following two files. Afterward, you can upgrade the kernel to 6.5.0 using `apt update`:

(1) /var/lib/dkms/parallels-tools/19.0.0.54570/source/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/file.c
    (2) /var/lib/dkms/parallels-tools/19.0.0.54570/source/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_compat.h

You can go through the post https://forum.parallels.com/threads/kali-linux-upgrade-boot-kernel-panic.361436/ for reference

Please try and let us know about the results.

Looking forward to it.

Best regards,

8. JamesF23

JamesF23 Junior Member

Well the problem that I have is that I rebuilt the machine with an ISO from kali.org in order to have Kali Linux working. If I were to rebuild the Kali Linux machine with the download process in Parallels Desktop, I would go from Linux kernel 5.18 (or something close to that) to 6.5 (what ever the current version is). I do not know enough Linux to be able to install a specific Kernel (6.4) order to follow your instructions. My Kali Linux virtual machine is simply a lab machine so I can easily wipe out the machine and get to the point to attempt the process.

9. JamesF23

JamesF23 Junior Member

I rebuilt the virtual machine, and the current download is using the 6.3 kernel. Upon performing an apt update && apt full-upgrade -y, apt ran into errors and resulted in a machine that no longer boots properly. Other than performing updates, I renamed the virtual machine to something better than the name the download process gives.

10. JamesF23

JamesF23 Junior Member

Downloaded Kali 2023.2 again, ran through the updates. Attempted to run the text file and then update the distribution with no luck. Right now I do not have the option to booting back to the 6.3 kernel.

11. DanieleD5

DanieleD5 Bit poster

For now, i throw away my maschine and installed it fresh and set the sources to older, stable ones in kali, before i updated/upgraded, this way i keep the older kernel. after that i could install PT without a problem. however for the new ubuntu release I guess I have to wait or use the lts version for a bit. Fedora 38 sill works though, havent tested the fedora 39 beta yet, will wait for the release at the end of the month i guess, but i assume if it will be delivered with kernel 6.5 it won't work as well.

12. Mikhail Ushakov

Best Answer
    Hello!
    We've added support for Linux kernel 6.5 in Parallels Desktop 19.1.0 that should be released within a few hours. Please install the latest version of Parallels Desktop and check if the issue is addressed.

MatthewR20 likes this.
  13. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!

14. Leonchik1976

Yes! i was able to install Parallels Tools on Gentoo, thank you!

Mikhail Ushakov and MatthewR20 like this.
  15. JoaquinG

JoaquinG Bit poster

I installed the latest Parallels Desktop version and distros using kernel 6.x but failed to render a simple website with Chrome-based browsers.
    I tried Ubuntu 23.10, Linux Mint Debian, and Fedora.
    I switched to Linux Mint 21.2 and Ubuntu 22.04, and everything works fine.

16. Mikhail Ushakov

hi @JoaquinG ,
    would you provide more details, please: what exact kernel have you installed and what exactly happened with rendering a website?
    Additionally, it'd be great if you share the following data with us from the affected VM where the issue can be reproduced now:
    - collect a technical report while the issue is being reproduced (click Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in your reply
    - Additionally, provide us with the following files located inside the affected virtual machine:
    /var/log/parallels.log
    /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log

17. Leonchik1976

can also confirm successful install of Parallels Tools on gentoo kernel 6.6.0

18. MishaP

MishaP

Fails to install on Rhino 24.04 (kernel 6.6).
    From parallels-tools-log:
    /bin/sh: 1: scripts/basic/fixdep: Exec format error

19. BobW11

BobW11 Member

I am still not able to reliably install tools for 6.5 on Debian unstable. I need to use for testing and can't use 6.5 or 6.6.

20. BobW11

BobW11 Member

Any way to troubleshoot why the tools won't use the correct video? No matter what I try I can't get a valid video resolution with any of the supported kernel images.

21. JoaquinG

JoaquinG Bit poster

It appears that the issue is related to Chrome. After disabling the Chrome Hardware Acceleration feature, the problem seems to be resolved and everything is functioning as expected.