Shared networking keeps breaking: 5582+Leopard+Vista

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by vanpatrick, Dec 20, 2007.

1. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

I've been having this recurring issue with shared networking breaking using 5582+Leopard+Vista. Did a complete reinstall of 5582 following instructions, and this issue keeps coming back randomly.

The only way I've found to resolve it temporarily is using the terminal command "sudo killall -hup pvsnatd" then turning off DHCP for Parallels NAT and Parallels Host-Guest adapters and turning it back on. This works for a while, but eventually when I restart my Vista VM at some point the the issue returns.

Symptoms are: no Internet/Network connectivity in Vista guest OS, Parallels NAT and Parallels Host-Guest adapters have Self-Assigned IPs (non-routable). First disabling/re-enabling DHCP for these is ineffective, only "sudo killall -hup pvsnatd" works, followed by disabling/re-enabling DHCP for Parallels adapters and restarting the Vista VM-- VERY INCONVENIENT AND TEMPORARY FIX.

Can anyone help?

2. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

Shared networking inconsistent for me as well

I had no problems with 5582 until I upgraded my MBP 15 to Leopard. Since then, shared networking will intermittently stop working. My VM is XP.

I tried restarting everything several times with no effect. Did not try any setting changes. The last time this happened, I restarted everything which still did not work but after running for some amount of time (maybe 30 minutes?) it just started working again.

Note that I have not had shared networking go out *while* I was already running. When it goes out, it is when I start the virtual machine. It doesn't matter if it was suspended or not.

I hope this helps solve the problem.

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... summitscout, have you tried un-installing parallels, restarting, installing, restarting?

It sounds like Parallels is not properly releasing the network adapter when you are turning it off...

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to do the following:
    1. Open Mac OS X "System Preferences" - "Network".
    2. Choose "Parallels NAT" from the left panel, choose "OFF" in the "Configuration" field, then click "Apply".
    3. Choose "DHCP" in the "configuration field" and click "Apply".

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Stacy, but in my case this does not work whenever this problem surfaces. As I mentioned, the only thing that works is "sudo killall -hup pvsnatd" followed by your suggested steps.... Is there a more permanent fix for this issue?

6. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

You can try reinstalling parallels build 5582......helped for me

7. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

Already did a complete reinstall-- no help :(

8. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Did you uninstall it first?

9. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

thank you for your feedback. We are aware of this problem and working hard to resolve it. Meanwhile, the only solution is to use "sudo killall -hup pvsnatd".
    Sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Stacey

10. fredh@iiw.org

fredh@iiw.org Bit poster

Same networking issues

I am having same issues of connectivity, only since upgrading to Leopard. I rolled back to 5540 and all was well. Yesterday, autoupdate told me that 5582 was available, downloaded and installed it. Now the same problem. Sadly, I deleted the older dmg thinking everything was fixed. Big mistake. Can't find that release now.

11. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

fredh@iiw.org,
    did you try to restart Parallels NAT as I suggested before?

We are aware of this problem and working hard to solve it.

Best regards,
    Stacey

12. fredh@iiw.org

fredh@iiw.org Bit poster

Yes, I have tried it all. --fh

13. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

in Mac OS X "System Preferences" - "Network" what color does Parallels NAT have?

Does command sudo killall –hup pvsnatd not help too?

Best regards,
    Stacey

14. knappis07

knappis07 Bit poster

Same problem here although none of your suggestions work for me.

I have been running Vista Ultimate on 5582 since 12 dec on Leopard 10.5.1 without any network problems. It has been running perfect for many hours. But yesterday, the VM crashed when I was dealing with a ZoneAlarm issue and after that my network is gone.

Interestingly, i had made a (CCC3) clone of my HD just a few hours prior to this crash but restoring the VM from the backup didn't resolve the issue. Neither did restoring the /library/parallels nor the /application/Paralles folders. BUT, booting from my clone worked fine ..... for a while. Now it displays the same problem. Seems like there was some time left before malfunction on my backup that I have now used up. .P. Maybe there is an overflow somewhere.

My Parallels-Guest host adapter seems to be working fine but my Paralles NAT has Self-Assigned IP and " may not work properly". Both have green lights.

Turning on and off DHCP and sudo tricks does noting for me. Uninstalling/reinstalling parallels solves nothing.

I really need to have network going again quick. Is this related to shared networking only and can i reconfigure to bridged ethernet? Is there an older version I can roll back to?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  15. knappis07

knappis07 Bit poster

Update.

Bridged etherenet seems to be working fine .... for now. Network even seems more responsive than before (browsing .psf). I'll report back if I have any issues with it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  16. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

@jackybe67-- Of course, following Parallels support instructions posted elsewhwhere on these forums. Sounds like this is being acknowledged as a known issue-- hope for a fix soon.

17. morwen

morwen Member

gah! missing .hdd found in weird place?

My shared networking stopped too after I upgraded. I was just going to try uninstalling and reinstalling but first I was going to backup my .hdd file. My ~user/Documents/Parallels folder is empty?! It has to be some place because Parallels is launching Windows! I've searched my drive for .hdd and it finds nothing!! Help?!

Okay, looking around more, not sure why spotlight didn't find anything, but there's a bunch of stuff in ~user/Library/Parallels including winxp.1.hdd and winxp.1.pvs, they show up as directories in terminal. I thought those were supposed to be in ~user/Documents/Parallels?

Okay, update on this. I copied my windows folder that I found in the ~user/Library/Parallels folder to my desktop, uninstalled Parallels, rebooted, reinstalled Parallels, dropped my windows folder into ~user/Documents/Parallels. Parallels found it, loaded it and now my shared networking works again.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  18. rickbsgu

rickbsgu Member

Add me to the list on this issue. I have sharing on with AFP and SMB. If I do a 'net view', the Mac host shows up. If I do a 'net view <mac>', it shows the shares. But, if I do a 'net use s: \\<mac>\share', it complains the name is invalid. Same if I use an IP address. I'm configuring manually or DHCP with manual configuration, mac host set at 192.168.5.2, DHCP range set 192.168.5.50-150.

Same issue from an Ubuntu guest with an SMB mount.

rickb

19. rickbsgu

rickbsgu Member

Ok, some more info on this -

I had copied my smb.conf file from the 10.4.11 system, which had a lot of hand edits to set up shares (because there wasn't a 'blessed' way to do it in 10.4, other than edit the smb.conf)

With 10.5, I reinstated the default smb.conf and then set up the shares using the control panel (not modifying the smb.conf, directly).

For me, this now seems to be working and I haven't seen any drops.

Will continue to monitor.

rickb